• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Simple integral of dlnP/dt problem

• Thread starter UCLphysics
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Integrate the Clausius Clapeyron equation to get the saturated partial pressure equation.

Homework Equations

dln(P)/dT = L/RT2

Es= Es0 exp(-L/R (1/T - 1/T0))

The Attempt at a Solution

P=Es0

∫L/RT (limits -> T &T0) = -L/R * (1/T - 1/T0)

dln(P)/dT = 1/P*dP/dT?

I've managed to confused myself to the point where these are the only coherent workings I have. I feel that I'm close and missing a trick? My problem is how I get to the exp and the Es0 constant. I know this is to do with dln(P)/dT, but the maths text book and the notes for the course I have don't help at all.

Answers and Replies

On the left hand side you have a derivative of a function with respect to T. On the right hand side you have a function of T. You can integrate both sides with respect to T. What do you get?

if you use the dln(P)/dT = 1/P*dP/dT relation

P= -P (L/R * (1/T - 1/T0))

I understand you are trying to get me to work through the problem. The problem is my maths are wrong and need to be shown how to do it.

Last edited:
You have [tex]\frac {d} {dT} \ln P = \frac L {RT^2}[/tex] You integrate that from [itex]T_0[/itex] to [itex]T[/itex]: [tex]\int_{T_0}^T\frac {d} {dT} \ln P dT = \int_{T_0}^T \frac L {RT^2} dT[/tex] The integral on the left is an integral of a derivative, so integration cancels differentiation: [tex]\int_{T_0}^T\frac {d} {dT} \ln P dT = \left[\ln P\right]_{T_0}^T = \ln P - \ln P_0 = \ln \frac {P}{P_0}[/tex] Can you figure out the rest?

Last edited:
Yes, thank you for the help. My brain just seemed to shut down down on this problem.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
One thing that is confusing is the use of "t" on the left and "T" on the right. I assumed that "t" was "time" and "T" was temperature, which makes the problem very difficult!

The t vs T thing was my fault, I just wrote the differentiation symbol in the autopilot mode. Sorry about that! I have corrected that.