1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Simple ising model: Magnetic susceptibility derivation

1. May 1, 2010 #1
    I'm stuck on a question about deriving an expression for the magnetic susceptibility in terms of the variance of the magnetisation for a simple 2d square ising model.

I get the derivation of the specific heat, and I know am supposed to do something similar to get to the expression for susceptibility d<M>/dH. But how? Any help would be much appreciated.

wuqa1t.png

[beta is 1/KT]

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2010 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

Well, take a look at the partition function for the Ising Model and what the average of some quantity A is:

[tex]Z = \sum_{\{S_i\}}\exp\left[K\sum_{<i,j>}S_iS_j + \beta H \sum_i S_i \right][/tex]

[tex]\langle A \rangle = Z^{-1}\ \sum_{\{S_i\}}A\exp\left[K\sum_{<i,j>}S_iS_j + \beta H \sum_i S_i \right][/tex]

Let the magnetization be [itex]M = \sum_i S_i[/itex] . Note that if you take a derivative of Z with respect to H it brings down the sum over the S_i, so you get the average of M times Z. If you take two derivatives you get the average of M^2 times Z (up to some betas). Compare to the derivative of the average of M with respect to H to get the relation your source claims.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook