1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Laws of motion question

1. Oct 20, 2006 #1
    A friend and I were conducting a science experiment, where an object weighing roughly 550 grams was launched vertically, and after examining the video footage, was airborne for aproximatly 4.5 secconds. Having never studied physics before, I was curious if you could calculate the launch speed and or peak height from this information.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2006 #2

SGT

Assuming negligible air resistence, wich is approximatelytrue if the object is a ball made of a dense material, the velocity of a body moving against gravity is [tex]v = v_0 - gt[/tex]
    At the top of the trajectory the velocity is 0 and the time is half the total time.

4. Oct 20, 2006 #3
    I don't really understand that sorry, but according to Wikipedia, a stationary object's speed increases by 9.81 metres per second as it falls. and since my object was falling for 4.5/2, 2.25 secconds, I figured the peak hieght would be 9.81 + (9.81x2) + (9.81x3)/4 which equals 36.7875 metres, which, having seen the object, sounds about right. And 9.81 being approximatly 22 miles per hour, I guessed the speed it was traveling when it hit the ground and indeed the speed it was launched at would be 22 x 2.25 which is 49.5 miles per hour.
    However, having no expirience with physics, I am hesitant to trust these results. Could anyone confirm or correct this?
    Thank you for your input.

5. Oct 20, 2006 #4

SGT

I don't understand the calculations you made. The initial and final velocities are equal in absolute values.
    [tex]v_0 = 9.81*2.25 = 22m/s = 11.4 mph[/tex]
    The maximum heogth will be
    [tex]h = v_0*t - \frac{1}{2]g*t^2 = 24.8m[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?