1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Approximation to simple harmonic motion.

1. Oct 26, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Approximation to simple harmonic motion.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A small mass [tex]m[/tex], which carries a charge [tex]q[/tex], is constrained to move vertically inside a narrow, frictionless cylinder. At the bottom of the cylinder is a point mass of charge [tex]Q[/tex] having the same sign as [tex]q[/tex]. Show that if the mass [tex]m[/tex] is displaced by a small amount from its equilibrium position and released, it will exhibit simple harmonic motion with angular frequency
    [tex]\omega = \sqrt{\frac{2g}{y_0}}[/tex]
    where [tex]y_0[/tex] is the height, when the mass is in equilibrium.

2. Relevant equations

Simple harmonic motion:

Coulomb's Law(one dimension, same sign of charges):
    [tex]F= \frac{kq_1q_2}{y^2}[/tex]

Newton's Second Law:

3. The attempt at a solution

Force acting on the mass [tex]m[/tex] at a height [tex]y[/tex] is:
    [tex]F=\frac{kqQ}{y^2} - mg[/tex]

I found the potential energy by:
    [tex] U=-\int F dy= \frac{kqQ}{y} + mgy [/tex]

I found the equilibrium point:
    [tex] mg = \frac{kqQ}{y_0^2} [/tex]
    [tex] y_0 = \sqrt{\frac{kqQ}{mg}} [/tex]

Near (stable) equilibrium I can approximate the potential energy by some parabola with equation:
    [tex]U_n = U(y_0) + B(y - y_0)^2 = 2\sqrt{kqQmg} + B(y - \sqrt{\frac{kQq}{mg}})^2[/tex]
    where [tex]B[/tex] is some (positive) constant.

Than I can find the approximate force by taking the negative derivative of [tex]U_n[/tex]. That is
    [tex]F = -2B(y - y_0)[/tex]

That is the same as simple harmonic motion and so we can say that
    [tex]\omega = \sqrt{\frac{2B}{m}}[/tex]

Well my problem is that I have no idea how to find the [tex]B[/tex] or how to show that the [tex]B = \frac{mg}{y_0}[/tex]. The thing is I don't know how to mathematically describe that I want the parabola of the approximate potential energy function to be the most similar to the original function near equilibrium.

I will really appreciate any help from you.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You said
    [tex] U(y) = \frac{kqQ}{y} + mgy [/tex]
    (which I didn't check, but I assume it is correct).

I would consider making a Taylor expansion around the equilibrium point, i.e.
    [tex]U(y) = U(y_0) + U'(y_0)(y - y_0) + \frac12 U''(y_0) (y - y_0)^2 + \mathcal{O}((y - y_0)^3). [/tex]
    Since it's an equilibrium point, the linear term will vanish. Then approximate the potential by throwing away the (y - y0)^3 terms and you will have a parabola, from which you can easily read off the coefficient.

I quickly tried this and it will give you the B you stated, so it should work. But there might be another way.
  4. Oct 27, 2007 #3
    Hi...I had never heard about Taylor's polynomials, but I looked it up, when I read your reply and it's a great stuff. Exactly what I needed and how you said - it works. So thanks a lot. I really appreciate it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?