1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Lens Diagram for a Camera

1. May 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A simple camera has a converging lens and the image is in focus on the screen.

The paths of three rays from the tree to the lens are shown in the attached diagram.

Complete these paths to show the formation of the image on the film.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have attached the diagram for the above question.

I think I would place a ruler on the central line and continue this line to the screen.

Then on the bottom I would draw this up to ground level.

Is this correct?

If it is, I was wondering about the top ray. Should this be drawn across to the screen parallel with the ground?

Thank you :smile:

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2010 #2
    The two top rays must meet at the same place on the screen because they will form an image of the top of the tree. That should give you a clue how to finish the diagram. The two rays you described are correct.
    If you draw what you think it should look like we can check if it's ok.

4. May 4, 2010 #3
    Thanks Stonebridge,

I don't have access to a scanner at the moment to sketch and re-post.

But I think after I have placed a ruler on the central line and continue this line to the screen, I would then draw the top line straight to meet where the central line touches the screen.

Then with the bottom line I would draw this up to ground level.

When I draw a little sketch of the tree on the screen this sketch would be of an inverted tree.

How does this sound?

5. May 5, 2010 #4
    That sounds perfect to me. An inverted, real and diminished image.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook