• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Simple lever for a 3d printed gate

• Thread starter Bayu
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Hi im new here!,i wanna thanks for all great information,

Today i try to make a lever works with my hot wheels start gate,it should be work like gate,when i push the lever down,the gate will going down but i cant make the gate open at the same time between the first and second gate,any idea of the lever design that i should make on my 3dprinter?

20181002_174658-1612x1209.jpg

20181002_174722-1612x1209.jpg

Any help would be appreciated so much! Thanks a lot!

Homework Equations

It should be work like this

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

.Scott
Homework Helper
I would make two changes.
First, I would not use that "Y" shape. I would use a full "door" with a "hindge" attached to the bottom of the assm.
This would tend to keep the gates at the same level.
Second, I would changes the way the gate is setup by the operator. You could make it so the operator needs to push the gates into a raised position - and flexing part of that "door" in the process. Then it would be held in that position until the trigger release it. That way the gates would snap down quickly.

I would make two changes.
First, I would not use that "Y" shape. I would use a full "door" with a "hindge" attached to the bottom of the assm.
This would tend to keep the gates at the same level.
Second, I would changes the way the gate is setup by the operator. You could make it so the operator needs to push the gates into a raised position - and flexing part of that "door" in the process. Then it would be held in that position until the trigger release it. That way the gates would snap down quickly.
Hi thanks for your idea!,do i need a spring to make door open quick when i push the lever?, d9 you have any picture reference related tp your idea?,that would be a big help to mix into 3d print model

.Scott
Homework Helper
Hi thanks for your idea!,do i need a spring to make door open quick when i push the lever?, d9 you have any picture reference related tp your idea?,that would be a big help to mix into 3d print model
Perhaps a metal spring, but I would try flexing the plastic and allowing it to snap back. Given the right thickness and shape, it should be possible to make it work with the plastic.
I don't have a picture. Right now, you have one "stick" sticking out from the gate piece. That is you biggest problem. It should end in a "T" with the top of the T held against the bottom of the main section and acting like a hinge, But as I said, it shouldn't even by a "T", it should be a full rectangle so that it cannot easily twist. You will need to add something to the bottom of the main section to hold that hinge in place - so that the end of the rectangle is in a long slot. This is especially important if you are flexing the plastic - because that flexing will cause the hinge of the gate piece to separate from the bottom unless that slot is strong.