1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Linear Differential Operator Problem

1. May 28, 2012 #1
    1. (D+1)(D-x)(2e^x+cosx)

2. None

3. (D+1)(D-x)(2e^x+cos(x))=D(2e^x-sinx-2xe^x-xcosx)+1(2e^x-sinx-2xe^x-xcosx)=-4e^x+2e^x-xcosx-2cosx+xsinx-sinx

The correct answer is 2e^x(xsinx-3sinx+2xcosx)

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It is the part that you don't show that is wrong. There is no way that "D"
    or "D- 1" can change "2e^x" to "2xe^x". I suggest you do that again.

4. May 28, 2012 #3
    It's (D-x).

5. May 28, 2012 #4
    Please open this again as the last poster closed it because he or she misread the equation.

6. May 29, 2012 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, I misread the equation. No, I did not "close" this thread.
    [itex]D(2e^x+cos(x))= 2e^x- sin(x)[/itex]
    [itex]x(2e^x+cos(x))= 2xe^x+ xcos(x)[/itex]

[itex](D- x)(2e^x+ cos(x))= 2e^x- 2xe^x- sin(x)- xcos(x)[/itex]

[itex]D(2e^x- 2xe^x- sin(x)- xcos(x))= 2e^x- 2e^x- 2xe^x- cos(x)- cos(x)+ xsin(x)= -2xe^x- 2cos(x)+ xsin(x)[/itex]

[itex](D+1)(2e^x- 2xe^x- sin(x)- xcos(x))= -2xe^x- 2cos(x)+xsin(x)+ 2e^x- 2xe^x- sin(x)- xcos(x)= 2e^x- 4xe^x- 2cos(x)- sin(x)+ xsin(x)- xcos(x)[/itex]

What you state as the "correct answer" is impossible. You cannot get [itex]e^x[/itex] multiplied by the trig functions.

7. May 29, 2012 #6
    Thanks Ivy. This was from the first set of problems on the topic I have worked so I was not sure I was solving it correctly, but looks like I did. The solution in the back of the book must be incorrect. What do the open and closed envelopes next to the threads signify?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook