Simple log/exponential equation.

• Thread starter Willowz
  • Start date
Solve for cosh(x) and then apply inverse hyperbolic cosine.In summary, the conversation discusses solving the equation e^2x - e^-x = 1 and the steps needed to solve it. The solution involves multiplying both sides by e^(x) and substituting u=e^(x) to solve a quadratic equation. Alternatively, one can solve for cosh(x) and apply inverse hyperbolic cosine.
Willowz
HI, I'm having problems dealing with this simple equation. I just need to know what steps need to be taken to solve it.

e^2x - e^-x = 1

Answer.

x = ln(1+[tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex]/2)

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Multiply both sides by e^(x) and then you'll get a cubic equation in e^(x) to solve.

Sure, but cubics are hard to solve. And the solution of the cubic isn't ln(1+sqrt(5)/2). I think the problem is supposed to read e^(2x)-e^(x)=1.

Dick said:
Sure, but cubics are hard to solve. And the solution of the cubic isn't ln(1+sqrt(5)/2). I think the problem is supposed to read e^(2x)-e^(x)=1.

Good point. That's a quadratic in e^(x), and that's much easier to solve...

Sorry there. :frown: The equation reads. e^x-e^-x=1.

Multiply both sides by e^(x) and then substitute u=e^(x). You'll get a quadratic in u, solve for u, then substitute e^x back in.

Thanks!. I got u^2-u-1=0 and the rest was cake.

Last edited:
Or note that [itex]e^x- e^{-x}= 2 cosh(x)= 1[/itex]

Related to Simple log/exponential equation.

1. What is a simple log/exponential equation?

A simple log/exponential equation is an equation that involves either logarithmic or exponential functions. These functions are used to model relationships between variables that are growing or decreasing at a constant rate.

2. How do I solve a simple log/exponential equation?

To solve a simple log/exponential equation, you can use algebraic techniques such as isolating the variable, taking the logarithm of both sides, or using the properties of logarithms. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of exponent rules.

3. What are some real-life applications of simple log/exponential equations?

Simple log/exponential equations are used in various fields such as finance, biology, and physics. Examples include calculating compound interest, modeling population growth, and predicting radioactive decay.

4. What is the difference between a logarithmic and an exponential function?

A logarithmic function is the inverse of an exponential function. In other words, if an exponential function represents the growth or decay of a variable, the logarithmic function represents the time it takes for that variable to reach a certain value.

5. Can simple log/exponential equations have multiple solutions?

Yes, simple log/exponential equations can have multiple solutions. This is because logarithmic and exponential functions are not one-to-one, meaning that multiple inputs can result in the same output. It is important to check for extraneous solutions when solving these equations.