Simple Motion Along a Straight Line Problem

In summary, an automobile travels on a straight road for 80 km at 40 km/hr. The average velocity is 40 km/hr.
MysticDude
Gold Member
Simple "Motion Along a Straight Line" Problem

Hi new here to PF. I have a simple physics problem but I was confused when the teacher was explaining it (he went a little too fast on this part) so I was hoping you physicians can help me out here.

Homework Statement

An automobile travels on a straight road for 40km at 30 km/hr. It then continues in the same director for another 40 km at 60 km/hr. (a) What is the average velocity of the car during this 80km trip?(Assume that it moves in the positive x direction.) (b) What is the average speed?

Given:
Trip was 80km.
First 40 km were traveled at 30km/hr
The second 40km were traveled at 60km/hr

Homework Equations

Average velocity = (Delta)x / (Delta) t where x is for position and t is for time.
Average speed = total distance / (Delta) t

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I was able to get that for the first 40km it took (4/3) hours by dividing (40km)/(30km/hr). For the next 40km I was able to get that it took (2/3 hours) by dividing (40km)/(60km/hr). In other words, 80km in 2 hrs. So I think that the average speed should be 80km/2hrs = 40km/hr. But I just don't know how to get the average velocity. Should I do the same thing again or something else. I know it is easy but I'm new to physics.

Physics news on Phys.org

MysticDude said:
Hi new here to PF. I have a simple physics problem but I was confused when the teacher was explaining it (he went a little too fast on this part) so I was hoping you physicians can help me out here.

Homework Statement

An automobile travels on a straight road for 40km at 30 km/hr. It then continues in the same director for another 40 km at 60 km/hr. (a) What is the average velocity of the car during this 80km trip?(Assume that it moves in the positive x direction.) (b) What is the average speed?

Given:
Trip was 80km.
First 40 km were traveled at 30km/hr
The second 40km were traveled at 60km/hr

Homework Equations

Average velocity = (Delta)x / (Delta) t where x is for position and t is for time.
Average speed = total distance / (Delta) t

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I was able to get that for the first 40km it took (4/3) hours by dividing (40km)/(30km/hr). For the next 40km I was able to get that it took (2/3 hours) by dividing (40km)/(60km/hr). In other words, 80km in 2 hrs. So I think that the average speed should be 80km/2hrs = 40km/hr. But I just don't know how to get the average velocity. Should I do the same thing again or something else. I know it is easy but I'm new to physics.

Hi MysticDude

Based on your equation : Average velocity = Δx / Δt

What is the value of Δx ? In other words, how far the automobile from its starting point?
What is the value of Δt ? How long did it take to reach its last position?

Well, Δx = x(final) - x(initial) so it should be 80km - 0 km = 80km.
Δt = t(final) - t(initial) so it should be 2hrs - 0hrs = 2hrs.
so Δx/Δt = 40 km/hr
So does this mean that the average velocity is also equal to the average speed?

MysticDude said:
Well, Δx = x(final) - x(initial) so it should be 80km - 0 km = 80km.
Δt = t(final) - t(initial) so it should be 2hrs - 0hrs = 2hrs.
so Δx/Δt = 40 km/hr
So does this mean that the average velocity is also equal to the average speed?

Yes :biggrin:

The average velocity and average speed will be different if the object moves in different direction than the previous one, like it moves 40 km to the east, then 10 km to the west.
The distance = 40 + 10 = 50 km
The displacement or position = 40 - 10 = 30 km

Thanks a bunch! I knew it had to be a simple problem since it was only the first week of school, but for some reason I got confused. Once again, thanks a lot for helping a new guy out. I got into AP Physics so I signed up for help and you sir just gave it to me :P.

You're welcome. I also got helped by many members here. Glad I can help others :smile:

1. What is simple motion along a straight line?

Simple motion along a straight line is a type of motion in which an object moves along a straight path with constant speed and direction.

2. What are the key concepts involved in solving a simple motion problem?

The key concepts involved in solving a simple motion problem include distance, speed, velocity, acceleration, and time. These variables are related through the equations d = vt and v = at, where d represents distance, v represents velocity, a represents acceleration, and t represents time.

3. How do you calculate the average speed of an object in a simple motion problem?

The average speed of an object in a simple motion problem can be calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken. It is represented by the equation v = d/t.

4. What is the difference between speed and velocity in a simple motion problem?

Speed is a scalar quantity that represents how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a vector quantity that represents both the speed and direction of an object's motion. In a simple motion problem, speed is constant while velocity can change if the direction of motion changes.

5. How do you find the acceleration of an object in a simple motion problem?

The acceleration of an object in a simple motion problem can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. It is represented by the equation a = (v2 - v1)/t, where v2 is the final velocity, v1 is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.