1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple multivariable limit problem

1. Jan 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[itex]f(x,y) = 2x+3y[/itex]

Let [itex]\epsilon[/itex] be any positive number. Show that there is a disk with center [itex](1,1)[/itex] and radius [itex]\delta[/itex] such that whenever [itex]P[/itex] is in that disk, [itex]\left| f(P) - 5\right| < \epsilon[/itex]. Give [itex]\delta[/itex] as a function of [itex]\epsilon[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\left| 2x+3y - 5\right| < \epsilon[/itex]

[itex]\sqrt{(x-1)^2 + (y-1)^2} < \delta[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Obviously, it's a continuous equation that works out to exactly [itex]5[/itex] so the limit is 5. But I am stuck on solving for [itex]\delta[/itex] in terms of [itex]\epsilon[/itex]

I suspect I am stuck on an easy step.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[itex]|2x+ 3y- 5|= |2x- 2+ 3y- 3|= |2(x- 1)+ 3(y- 1)|\le 2|x- 1|+ 3|y- 1|[/itex]

and, of course, [itex]|x- 1|\le \sqrt{(x- 1)^2+ (y- 1)^2}[/itex] and [itex]|y- 1|\le \sqrt{(x- 1)^2+ (y- 1)^2}[/itex].

4. Jan 24, 2013 #3

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF, Toshe! :smile:

Suppose we pick a point P with a distance r to (1,1).
    Then r < δ.

What is the maximum value that |f(P)-5|=|2(x-1)+3(y-1)| can take as a function of r?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook