Simple Project: Using BC547 Transistor, Resistors, and Relay | Beginner's Guide

• Thread starter muh_j18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary: Have fun!In summary, the transistor in the circuit will turn on when power is applied to the circuit, and the relay will turn off when power is turned off. You would use a current relay for this type of circuit. Have fun!
muh_j18
Hello everybody,

I have to do a simple project in which i should use a BC547 transistor, resistors and a relay
this is my first project and I'm a little bit confused about it,can you tell me what values of resistors and what kind of relay should i use? thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like you are wanting to do something like this:

http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley/phonetale/relay.jpg

I'm moving this thread to the Homework Help forums from EE. Homework and coursework questions need to be posted in the appropriate Homework Help forum, and not in the general technical forums.

And on homework/coursework questions, you are required to do the bulk of the work. So, what kind of things about the circuit and components would help you to calculate the value of the base drive resistor?

Last edited by a moderator:
ok,
I'm not going to use this circuit under AC conditions,it's just a transistor switching circuit that when i connect the power supply the transistor conducts and the relay switch on,then when turning the power supply off the relay switch off, i think the circuit in the link will work but my question is what kind of relay to be used? what is the name of this relay, i know it's a current relay that it needs a minimum current to switch on, so the relay should have a few minimum current to work(about 1.5 or 2 mA) is there a relay works under such conditions?

thank you

muh_j18 said:
ok,
I'm not going to use this circuit under AC conditions,it's just a transistor switching circuit that when i connect the power supply the transistor conducts and the relay switch on,then when turning the power supply off the relay switch off, i think the circuit in the link will work but my question is what kind of relay to be used? what is the name of this relay, i know it's a current relay that it needs a minimum current to switch on, so the relay should have a few minimum current to work(about 1.5 or 2 mA) is there a relay works under such conditions?

thank you

You choose a relay that has the output voltage and current handling capabilities that you need, and can be energized by whatever power supply you happen to have handy (usually 5V or 12V). Browse some at Digikey.com to see what relays look like.

1. What is the purpose of the project?

The purpose of this simple project is to explore a specific concept or idea and to gain a deeper understanding of it through practical application.

2. What materials or equipment do I need for this project?

The materials and equipment needed for this project will depend on the specific concept being explored. However, some common materials may include basic lab supplies like beakers, test tubes, and chemicals, as well as any specialized equipment or tools that may be required.

3. Can I conduct this project at home?

This will also depend on the specific project and its requirements. Some simple projects can be conducted at home with basic materials and equipment, while others may require access to a laboratory or specialized equipment. It is important to carefully read through the project instructions and determine if it is feasible to conduct at home.

4. How long will this project take to complete?

The time it takes to complete this project will vary depending on the complexity of the concept being explored and the amount of time dedicated to it. It is important to plan and budget enough time to properly conduct the experiment and analyze the results.

5. What are the potential outcomes or results of this project?

The potential outcomes of this project will depend on the specific concept being explored and the success of the experiment. Some possible outcomes may include confirming or disproving a hypothesis, discovering new information, or gaining a deeper understanding of a scientific concept.