Simple Quantum Information Question

In summary, the system after a measurement on the first qubit is in a pure state that is given by a linear combination of the two cases where the first qubit is in its own independent pure state before and after the measurement.
Pbrunett
Hey folks, I have a pretty simple quantum information question that I was hoping somebody could answer.

let's say I have a pure state \ket{\psi} = \alpha \ket{10} + \beta \ket{11} + \gamma \ket{01} + \theta \ket{00}.

I then perform a measurement on only the first qubit and observe a value of 1. How do I now represent the state of my system? The temptation is to just renormalize the coefficients \alpha and \beta, but it's not clear to me whether this is correct or whether I have to use a density operator. Any advice would be awesome, this is a question that popped up while I was reading N and C for self-study. Thanks for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a good question. I do believe it will be in the renormalized pure state you imagine, as long as the measurement on the first qubit is independent of the second qubit (perhaps the entangled particles are physically separated, for example). The way to think of this is to write the system as a linear combination of the two more obvious cases, the first having in effect \alpha=\theta and \beta=\gamma (so the second qubit is in its own independent pure state before and after the measurement on the first qubit), and the second having in effect \alpha=\beta and \gamma=\theta (so the renormalized result we are talking about is more obviously going to be correct). Rebuilding the combination will yield a pure state, and if you work it out, my money says it will be (\alpha \ket{10} + \beta \ket{11}) / (\alpha + \beta).

Remember that measurement is projection and renormalization.

Alright, so [tex]|\psi\rangle=a_{00}|00\rangle+a_{01}|01\rangle + a_{10}|10\rangle + a_{11}|11\rangle[/tex]. A measurement of the first qubit as 1 means that [tex]|\psi\rangle[/tex] should be projected onto the subspace spanned by [tex]|10\rangle[/tex] and [tex]|11\rangle[/tex]. Since [tex]|00\rangle[/tex] and [tex]|01\rangle[/tex] are orthogonal to this subspace, the projected state is simply [tex]|\psi\rangle_{\mathit{proj}}=a_{10}|10\rangle + a_{11}|11\rangle[/tex], which, however, is not generally a unit vector. So we renormalize in the standard way, and the state after measurement is [tex]|\psi_1\rangle= (a_{10}|10\rangle + a_{11}|11\rangle)/||\psi\rangle_{\mathit{proj}}|= (a_{10}|10\rangle + a_{11}|11\rangle)/\sqrt{|a_{10}|^2 + |a_{11}|^2}[/tex].

Oops, that's how I meant to renormalize it! Still working on the TeX...

Awesome, that's what I was hoping for. Thanks for the advice folks!

Last edited:

1. What is quantum information?

Quantum information is a branch of physics and computer science that deals with the representation, processing, and transmission of information using quantum systems, such as atoms, photons, or superconducting circuits.

2. How is quantum information different from classical information?

Quantum information differs from classical information in the way it is represented and manipulated. While classical information is represented using binary digits (bits) of 0s and 1s, quantum information uses quantum bits (qubits) that can exist in multiple states simultaneously.

3. What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in which two or more quantum systems become so strongly correlated that the state of one system cannot be described independently of the other. This can be used to transmit information securely and to perform certain computational tasks faster than classical systems.

4. How is quantum information used in technology?

Quantum information has many potential applications in technology, including quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum sensing. For example, quantum computers can solve certain problems much faster than classical computers, while quantum cryptography allows for secure communication through the use of quantum entanglement.

5. What are the challenges in developing quantum information technology?

There are several challenges in developing quantum information technology, including the need for precise control and manipulation of quantum systems, the susceptibility of quantum systems to decoherence (loss of quantum properties), and the difficulty in scaling up quantum systems to large numbers of qubits.