Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple question concerning unitary transformation

1. Apr 6, 2014 #1
    Is the transformation of an operator under INFINITESIMAL unitary transformation, U^-1AU or UAU^-1?? I saw that two books defined it differently?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2014 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Remember that the unitary matrices form a group. So if U is a unitary matrix, then U^-1 is also a unitary matrix. Therefore, the distinction is superficial depending on which transformation you want to define as your U.

4. Apr 6, 2014 #3
    So it doesn't matter?

5. Apr 6, 2014 #4

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, it does matter a little bit. If you define U to be the unitary transformation that transforms kets |a>, then U^-1 will be the unitary transformation that makes the same transformation on the bras <b|. Using this, one should see that the matrix element <b|S|a> under a transformation goes to <b|U^-1SU|a> which means that the matrix S'=U^-1SU is the matrix that represents the operator in this new basis. If I defined U the opposite way, as U is the transformation on bras, then I get the other definition.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook