I Definition of a symmetry transformations in quantum mechanics

• Thread starter Lebnm
  • Start date
By the Wigner theorem, symmetries transformations are implemented by operators ##\hat{U}## that are unitary or antiunitary. This is what is written in most books. But I have read somewhere that, to ##\hat{U}## represent a symmetrie, it's necessary that ##\hat{U}^{\dagger} \hat{H} \hat{U} = \hat{H}##, that is, the hamiltonian has to be invariant under the transformation. Is it true? Are these definitions equivalents?

They are different. Wigner proved that the most general transformation that preserves the total probability has to be linear and unitary or anti-unitary. On the other hand, such ##U## is a symmetry of ##H## (i.e. of a system with Hamiltonian ##H##) if ##U^{\dagger}HU = H##.

haushofer

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Or: not every transformation (described by U) is necessarily a symmetry transformation (described by [H,U]=0) ;)

haushofer

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Or even different: being unitary is necessary but not sufficient to be a symmetry transformation.

Ok, thank you!