Simple question yet oh so hard for me. TT__TT

• Thread starter .hacker//Kazu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard
In summary, the power of three only affects the second minus sign within the brackets, while the power of four affects both the first and the second minus sign. The power of two only affects the first minus sign.
.hacker//Kazu
Evaluate and express as a fraction in lowest terms

-3 to the power of 4 + (-3)to the power of 3 - (-3)to the power of 2.

(I apoligize...I don't know how to type powers on the computer...>_<)

I tried to evaluate it like it told me to...so I ended up with

81-27+9
=63

Yet when I checked the answers sheet, it said the anwer was -117.

What I want to know is WHY? Am I doing something wrong? TT_____TT

Physics news on Phys.org
.hacker//Kazu said:
Evaluate and express as a fraction in lowest terms

-3 to the power of 4 + (-3)to the power of 3 - (-3)to the power of 2.

(I apoligize...I don't know how to type powers on the computer...>_<)

I tried to evaluate it like it told me to...so I ended up with

81-27+9
=63

Yet when I checked the answers sheet, it said the anwer was -117.

What I want to know is WHY? Am I doing something wrong? TT_____TT
[tex]-3^{4}+(-3)^{3}-(-3)^{2}[/tex] i think this is what you meant, because your notation is a little ambiguous. then if this is the case we have
[tex]-3^{4}+(-3)^{3}-(-3)^{2}=-81-27-9=-117[/tex] well there are two mistakes on what you did, first [tex]-3^{4}=-81[/tex] and not 81, pay heed, the minus sign is not included whithin the power, so the power does not actually affect the sign here, also [tex]-(-3)^{2}=-9[/tex] be carefull again the first minus sign is not included within the power, so the power of two only affects(changes) the second minus sign that is included whithin the bracktets. I hope this helps!

I see. Thank you so much. I was always confused by why there were brackets sometimes. So if there are no brackets around the integer, the power does not affect it and it stays the same, but if there is a bracket, the power affects it, even power being positive, odd being negative. I think I understand.

Thank you very much. ^_____________^

here are a couple of examples i will write down for you

[tex]-2^{4}=-16[/tex] wheras [tex](-2)^{4}=16[/tex]
[tex](-3)^{2}=9[/tex]
[tex](-3)^{3}=-27[/tex] you see that odd powers do not affect the sign even if the sign is included within the brackets.
[tex]-(-4)^{2}=-16[/tex] wheras [tex]-(-4)^{3}=64[/tex]

What makes this question so hard for me?

This question is difficult because it requires introspection and self-awareness to understand the root cause of the struggle.

How can I improve my ability to answer simple questions?

Practice and self-reflection can help improve your ability to answer simple questions. It may also be helpful to break down the question into smaller parts and take your time to think through each aspect.

Why do I struggle with simple questions even though I am a scientist?

Being a scientist does not necessarily mean that you are skilled at answering simple questions. Scientific expertise often involves complex and technical knowledge, which may not directly translate to answering basic questions.

What are some techniques I can use to answer simple questions more easily?

Some techniques that can help with answering simple questions include actively listening to the question being asked, taking a moment to process the question before responding, and practicing with friends or colleagues.

How can I communicate my thoughts more clearly when answering simple questions?

To communicate your thoughts more clearly when answering simple questions, it can be helpful to use concise and specific language, provide relevant examples or analogies, and ask for clarification if needed.