1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Rocket Equation in Gravity

1. Dec 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm having trouble deriving the equation for the velocity of a rocket in constant G given that it has constant exhaust velocity

2. Relevant equations

I know that a=dv/dt=U/M(dM/dt)-g

3. The attempt at a solution
    so from here dv=U/M dM-gdt

v=U ∫1/M dM - g ∫dt v from 0 to v, M from Minitial to Mfinal, and t from 0 to t

which leads to v=-ln[Minitial/Mfinal]-gt

HOWEVER, everywhere I look, the answer is positive ln[Minitial/Mfinal] -gt and I can't seem to get why this is so

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2014 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

From conservation of momentum you get the equation MΔv-UΔm=-Mg, where Δm is the exhausted mass during Δt time. But it is negative of the change of mass of the rocket. So the differential equation for the rocket mass is M dv/dt+UdM/dt=-Mg ---->## v= -\int _{Minitial}^{Mfinal}(\frac{dM}{M})##

4. Dec 16, 2014 #3
    Ah, i see what I was doing wrong, my answer is correct if U is taken to to be negative

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted