Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Simple roots of a quadratic question

1. Nov 18, 2007 #1

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given that the roots of [itex]x^2+px+q=0[/itex] are [itex]\alpha and \beta[/itex], form an equation whose roots are [itex]\frac{1}{\alpha} and \frac{1}{\beta}[/itex]
    b) Given that [itex]\alpha[/itex] is a root of the equation [itex]x^2=2x-3[/itex] show that
    i)[itex]\alpha^3=\alpha-6[/itex]
    ii)[itex]\alpha^2-2\alpha^3=9[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\sum\alpha=\frac{-b}{a}[/tex]
    [tex]\sum\alpha\beta=\frac{c}{a}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    well for part a) I can do that simply
    but it is part b) that confuses me, as I can simply factorize what the eq'n and get 1 and -3 as the roots..but I don't see how i can use those numbers to prove what they want to show...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2007 #2

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

Are you quite sure the roots are 1 and -3? What is the discriminant?

4. Nov 18, 2007 #3

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

ah wait...wrong sign i used...must redo

Well the roots are imaginary, but if i take [itex]\alpha[/itex] to be one of them and cube it I wouldn't get what i want

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  5. Nov 18, 2007 #4

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

What exactly were the roots you found? I just tried out (b-i) and got that to work. I'm trying (b-ii) now...

6. Nov 18, 2007 #5

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

1+- 2sqrt(2)i

7. Nov 18, 2007 #6

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

I find the discriminant to be -8 , so the imaginary part would be just sqrt(2).

8. Nov 18, 2007 #7

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

ah...forgot to divide the imag. part by 2...but if i take [itex]\alpha[/itex] as either of the 2 roots it will work out?

9. Nov 18, 2007 #8

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

You'll find that changing the sign of the imaginary part only flips the signs of certain terms in the expressions you are evaluating in a manner that still allows them to cancel out. Try it on (b-i)...

10. Nov 18, 2007 #9

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Of course, actually solving the equation and using those values as [itex]\alpha[/itex] defeats the point of the problem: use the equation itself!

If [itex]\alpha[/itex] satisfies [itex]x^2= 2x- 3[/itex] then obviously [itex]\alpha^2= 2\alpha - 3[/itex] so [itex]\alpha^3= 2\alpha^2- 3\alpha[/itex]. But, again, [itex]\alpha^2= 2\alpha - 3[/itex] so [itex]\alpha^3= 2(2\alpha- 3)- 3\alpha= \alpha - 6[/itex]

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook