1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple roots of a quadratic question

1. Nov 18, 2007 #1

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given that the roots of [itex]x^2+px+q=0[/itex] are [itex]\alpha and \beta[/itex], form an equation whose roots are [itex]\frac{1}{\alpha} and \frac{1}{\beta}[/itex]
    b) Given that [itex]\alpha[/itex] is a root of the equation [itex]x^2=2x-3[/itex] show that
    i)[itex]\alpha^3=\alpha-6[/itex]
    ii)[itex]\alpha^2-2\alpha^3=9[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\sum\alpha=\frac{-b}{a}[/tex]
    [tex]\sum\alpha\beta=\frac{c}{a}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    well for part a) I can do that simply
    but it is part b) that confuses me, as I can simply factorize what the eq'n and get 1 and -3 as the roots..but I don't see how i can use those numbers to prove what they want to show...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2007 #2

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

Are you quite sure the roots are 1 and -3? What is the discriminant?

4. Nov 18, 2007 #3

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

ah wait...wrong sign i used...must redo

Well the roots are imaginary, but if i take [itex]\alpha[/itex] to be one of them and cube it I wouldn't get what i want

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  5. Nov 18, 2007 #4

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

What exactly were the roots you found? I just tried out (b-i) and got that to work. I'm trying (b-ii) now...

6. Nov 18, 2007 #5

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

1+- 2sqrt(2)i

7. Nov 18, 2007 #6

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

I find the discriminant to be -8 , so the imaginary part would be just sqrt(2).

8. Nov 18, 2007 #7

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

ah...forgot to divide the imag. part by 2...but if i take [itex]\alpha[/itex] as either of the 2 roots it will work out?

9. Nov 18, 2007 #8

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

You'll find that changing the sign of the imaginary part only flips the signs of certain terms in the expressions you are evaluating in a manner that still allows them to cancel out. Try it on (b-i)...

10. Nov 18, 2007 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Of course, actually solving the equation and using those values as [itex]\alpha[/itex] defeats the point of the problem: use the equation itself!

If [itex]\alpha[/itex] satisfies [itex]x^2= 2x- 3[/itex] then obviously [itex]\alpha^2= 2\alpha - 3[/itex] so [itex]\alpha^3= 2\alpha^2- 3\alpha[/itex]. But, again, [itex]\alpha^2= 2\alpha - 3[/itex] so [itex]\alpha^3= 2(2\alpha- 3)- 3\alpha= \alpha - 6[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?