Simple sound intensity difficulty

In summary, if you want to reduce the intensity by a factor of 10, you would need to move approximately 397289 meters away from the jet engine.
Vanessa23
According to the text, at a distance of 50 m from a jet engine, the sound intensity is 10 W/m2. This corresponds to a loudness (or an intensity level) of 130 dB. [You should convince yourself that this is true.] If you find the sound too loud and you want to reduce the intensity by a factor of 10, to what new distance (approximately) from the jet engine should you move to achieve this reduction?

I=P/Area

Intensity level = 10db*log(I/Io)

to find the power of the jet engine:
p=10*((50^2)*4pi)
=314159

a factor of 10 reduction would mean 13dB
13=10log(I/10^-12)
1.3=log(I)-log(10^-12)
-10.7=log(I)
I=10^-10.7

A=P/I
A= 314159/ 10^-10.7
A=1.57x10^16

1.57x10^16 = 4pi r^2
r=397289

so does that mean that you really can't make the intensity decrease by a factor of 10?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think dB need to come into the calculation; the question asks for a reduction in intensity, not in "intensity level" or loudness.

The requisite new level is a factor of 10 less than the first level of 10 W/m^-2, that is 1 W/m^-2.

Assuming the jet engine is on a plane surface and there are no reflections then the noise power is radiating through the surface of a hemisphere ...

Based on the calculations, it appears that the distance from the jet engine would need to be approximately 397289 meters in order to achieve a reduction in intensity by a factor of 10. However, this distance may not be practical or even possible in real-world scenarios. Other methods, such as using sound-absorbing materials or ear protection, may be more effective in reducing the perceived loudness of the jet engine. Additionally, it is important to note that sound intensity and loudness are subjective and can vary depending on individual perception and other factors such as frequency and duration of exposure. As a scientist, it is important to consider all variables and potential limitations when interpreting and applying scientific principles.

1. What is sound intensity?

Sound intensity refers to the amount of energy that is carried by sound waves per unit area. It is measured in decibels (dB) and is a measure of the loudness or strength of a sound.

2. How is sound intensity different from sound frequency?

Sound intensity and sound frequency are two different properties of sound. While sound intensity refers to the loudness or strength of a sound, sound frequency refers to the number of sound waves that pass through a particular point in a given time. Sound frequency is measured in Hertz (Hz) and determines the pitch of a sound.

3. How is sound intensity measured?

Sound intensity is measured using a unit called decibel (dB). A sound level meter is used to measure the sound pressure levels in decibels. The sound intensity is calculated by comparing the sound pressure level to the reference sound pressure level of 20 micropascals (μPa).

4. What factors affect sound intensity?

Several factors can affect sound intensity, including the distance from the sound source, the characteristics of the sound source, and the medium through which the sound travels. Other factors such as temperature, humidity, and atmospheric pressure can also have an impact on sound intensity.

5. Why is understanding sound intensity important?

Understanding sound intensity is important for various reasons. It helps in measuring the loudness or strength of a sound, which is crucial in industries such as music, construction, and healthcare. It also plays a significant role in protecting our hearing by determining safe levels of exposure to sound. Moreover, understanding sound intensity is essential in noise control and environmental studies.