Sound Intensity (Level) - Hearing Aid

In summary, the man's ear hears an intensity of 8.8 * 10-12 W/m2 with a hearing aid device that increases the frequency of the sounds the human ear can conceive by 30 db.
Const@ntine

Homework Statement

A man is wearing a hearing aid device that increases the frequency of the sounds the human ear can conceive, by 30 db. The device "catches" a sound of frequency f = 50 Hz, and intensity I = 3.00 * 10-11 W/m2. What's the intensity that the man's ear hears?

Homework Equations

b = 10log(I/I0)
ΔPmax = sqrt(2pvI)
ω = 2πf
I = 0.5pv(ωSmax)2

p = 1.20 km/m3
v = 343 m/s
I0 = 10-12 W/m2

The Attempt at a Solution

Uh, I don't really have anything. From the problem's info I figured I'd put the original I into the formula for b, find it, then add 30 db to b, and then use the formula again to find the new I. But apparently that's not true. I'm not sure where the frequency is even used.

I know this is very bare-bones, but I coulf really use some help/guidance here.

Any kind of help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.
Darthkostis said:
A man is wearing a hearing aid device that increases the frequency of the sounds the human ear can conceive, by 30 db.
Is the word "frequency" correct here?

From the problem's info I figured I'd put the original I into the formula for b, find it, then add 30 db to b, and then use the formula again to find the new I.
That "sounds" reasonable to me.

But apparently that's not true.
Why do you say that?

I'm not sure where the frequency is even used.
Maybe the frequency is not relevant.

TSny said:
Hello.
Is the word "frequency" correct here?

Hi!

Sorry, meant to write the sound intensity level of the frequency (the b). It's a translation so I missed that.

TSny said:
That "sounds" reasonable to me.

That's what I figured.

TSny said:
Why do you say that?

With that method, I get a very different result from the book's. Here:

Let's assume that the man has no hearing device:

b = 10log(I/I0) = 10log(3 * 10-11/10-12) = ... = 14,77 db

So, the new b, b', is b + 30 db, so b' = 44,77 db

Now, let's take the hearing aid into account:

b' = 10log(I'/I0) <=> 4,477 = log(I'/I0) <=> e4,477 = I'/10-12 W/m2 <=> I' = 8.8 * 10-12 W/m2

The book's answer on the other hand is 3.00 * 10-8 W/m2

TSny said:
Maybe the frequency is not relevant.

Why give it then? I'm thinking that there might be a problem in the wording or something along those lines. Or I'm just missing something.

They probably meant to say that it amplifies ALL frequencies by 30 dB.
"adding" a Bell means multiply the Intensity by 10.
+30 dB is +1+1+1 = 3 Bels, so you multiply the Intensity by 10, 3 times.

Likes Const@ntine and TSny
Darthkostis said:
Hi!

Let's assume that the man has no hearing device:

b = 10log(I/I0) = 10log(3 * 10-11/10-12) = ... = 14,77 db

So, the new b, b', is b + 30 db, so b' = 44,77 db

Now, let's take the hearing aid into account:

b' = 10log(I'/I0) <=> 4,477 = log(I'/I0) <=> e4,477 = I'/10-12 W/m2 <=> I' = 8.8 * 10-12 W/m2

The book's answer on the other hand is 3.00 * 10-8 W/m2
Your work looks good except for one thing. What is the base of the logarithm function that is used in the formula for decibles?

Why give it then? I'm thinking that there might be a problem in the wording or something along those lines. Or I'm just missing something.
I think you'll get the right answer if you make the correction hinted at above. So, apparently the 50 Hz is not needed. It is not too uncommon for extra info to be given in a problem. It tests your confidence in solving the problem.

However, I did wonder if somehow you were supposed to take into account the fact that the human ear is less sensitive at 50 Hz compared to, say, 1000 Hz. But that would have required knowing how to take this into account (which I'm not familiar with). Anyway, it looks like you get the right answer without worrying about the frequency.

@lightgrav has a nice way to get the answer in a flash!

Last edited:
Likes Const@ntine
lightgrav said:
They probably meant to say that it amplifies ALL frequencies by 30 dB.
"adding" a Bell means multiply the Intensity by 10.
+30 dB is +1+1+1 = 3 Bels, so you multiply the Intensity by 10, 3 times.

So theoretically, for every x * 10 dBs, I can just go to my initial Intensity (I), and multiply it x times by 10. Kinda like a "cheat code" or "experienced problem solving", right? It gets me out of using the formula. But even if I do, I get the same result and the theory is proven. Thanks for this tidbit!

PS: Is there a link where I could read more about this? My book only has the b = 10log(I/I0) formula and not much else about Bell and the like.

TSny said:
Your work looks good except for one thing. What is the base of the logarithm function that is used in the formula for decibles?

Oh darn it, yeah. The base is 10, not e. I got carried away and put it in wrong.

TSny said:
I think you'll get the right answer if you make the correction hinted at above. So, apparently the 50 Hz is not needed. It is not too uncommon for extra info to be given in a problem. It tests your confidence in solving the problem.

Yeah, if I change the e for a 10 I get the book's answer. Rookie mistake, really. As for the extra info, all of our professors (and my teachers in the past) always said that we should use every bit of data, so I assumed I was just missing something.

TSny said:
However, I did wonder if somehow you were supposed to take into account the fact that the human ear is less sensitive at 50 Hz compared to, say, 1000 Hz. But that would have required knowing how to take this into account (which I'm not familiar with). Anyway, it looks like you get the right answer without worrying about the frequency.

Eh, I doubt it. The book doesn't go into detail in this section. It just has a couple of "put the numbers in the formulas" exercises.

------------------

Thanks a lot both of you, I really appreciate it!

1. What is sound intensity (level)?

Sound intensity, also known as sound level or sound pressure level, is a measure of the sound energy per unit area. It is commonly measured in decibels (dB) and is used to describe the loudness of a sound.

2. How is sound intensity (level) measured?

Sound intensity is typically measured using a microphone and a sound level meter. The microphone measures the sound pressure, and the sound level meter converts it into decibels using a logarithmic scale.

3. What is the range of sound intensity (level) that a human ear can detect?

The human ear can detect a wide range of sound intensities, from 0 dB (the threshold of hearing) to around 120 dB (the threshold of pain). However, the range of comfortable listening varies for each individual and can be affected by factors such as age and hearing loss.

4. How does a hearing aid help with sound intensity (level)?

A hearing aid amplifies sound to make it easier for individuals with hearing loss to hear. The level of amplification can be adjusted based on the individual's specific hearing needs and preferences. This helps to make sounds more audible and can improve the overall sound intensity (level) for the wearer.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with high sound intensity (level) and hearing aids?

Exposure to high sound intensity levels for extended periods can potentially damage the delicate structures of the inner ear, leading to permanent hearing loss. Therefore, it is important for hearing aids to be properly adjusted and for individuals to follow the recommended usage guidelines to avoid any potential risks.