1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Spring & Angular Fequency Problem

1. Jul 29, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In image below

2. Relevant equations
    Fs=-kx

3. The attempt at a solution
    In image below

PROB ISSUE 1.png

This question might be amateurish

Why does my answer equate to negative angular frequency when the given result is positive?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2015 #2
    Firstly , mg = (k1 + k2)x and not it's negative .

Secondly , what have you done here ?
    Why have you equated mg to keqx ? This only gives you the equilibrium position .

Correct derivation would be - find keq , then write the formula for w interms of k and m .

Hope this helps .

4. Jul 29, 2015 #3
    Thank you, it helps. But I am wondering how do I find
    keq?

5. Jul 29, 2015 #4

Nathanael

Homework Helper

There is a certain spring constant, keq, such that if we put a single spring with that spring constant in place of the other two springs, it would have the same effect.

So if you displace the mass by Δx, then the two springs exert a total force of F on the mass. That means (by the above definition) the effective spring constant is F/Δx.

So now try to find this total force F (from the springs) in terms of the given spring constants and Δx.

6. Jul 31, 2015 #5
    Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted