• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Simple truss question driving me crazy =/

• Thread starter hachi_roku
  • Start date
simple truss question....driving me crazy!! =/

Homework Statement

the question wants the forces in all the members of the truss. i have found that members bc and ef are zero force members...i cannot find the others. I am at a loss because ive tried all the methods i have been taught and the answers are not right. I NEED HELP!!!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i have tried to take sum of forces in x prime (the AD axis), for members tbd and tcd....and also have tried doing tab and tda.

Attachments

Answers and Replies

just in case you can't see the pic....the lengths from the pin to d is 16 ft, while the horizontal distance from the pin to d is 12 ft. the load at b is 2000 and the load at d is 3000. i have found a_y to be 3500 lbs

the angles between ab and ac is 30, while the angles between db and dc is 30

If you want to show the picture fast, you can upload it to picture-servers and post the link. Sometimes the approval can take a day.

> i have found that members bc and ef are zero force members
Very good!

> i have found a_y to be 3500 lbs
Very good. (note: in engineering/mechanics terms, the reaction at A is usually shown as Ra) Ay is understandable, you are probably doing a physics course.

> ive tried all the methods i have been taught and the answers are not right.
What methods have you been taught? Does 'triangle of forces' mean anything to you? How about 'summing forces in x and y'?
Can you post the calculations and the answer you've got using your method, and the answers given. Sometimes the answers are misprinted or mis-transcribed by the teacher or the student.

Hope to hear from you soon.

djeitnstine
Gold Member

Hachi_roku, I have an idea. If the question really wants ALL of the forces in each member, start out by finding the reaction forces -of course. Then start by resolving the unknown forces in the pins A, B C, D... in that order. Surely every force in each member will become apparent.

Last edited:

Hint:
with perfect symmetry of loading and geometry, you only have to work out half of the structure, for example ABCD. The other half (DEFG) can be replaced by a single horizontal reaction. Note, however, that the reaction at A has a vertical and horizontal component.
The horizontal reaction at D can easily be obtained by taking moments about A.