Statics - Compression and tension forces in a truss

In summary, the homework problem involves finding the forces in KJ, CJ, and CD using the equation ΣFx=0. The magnitude of KJ is determined to be 26.8kN, which is a compressive force, contradicting the book which lists all three forces as tension. The logic that if all three members were under tension, there would need to be a reactionary horizontal force to maintain equilibrium is deemed correct. Therefore, it is concluded that there is a typo in the book and either one or two of the members are experiencing a compressive force. This is confirmed by finding 26.8 N compression in KJ and 10.8 N tension in CJ, which would not be possible if all three
jacobthejones

Homework Statement

I am trying to find the forces in KJ, CJ, and CD.
Untitled.png

Homework Equations

ΣFx=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the magnitude of KJ to be 26.8kN, which is correct (according to answers in the back of the book). I believe it is a compressive force. The book lists all 3 forces as tension.

If all 3 members were under tension, there would have to be a reactionary horizontal force external to these three members acting on the right side of the truss to maintain equilibrium. Because there is no reactionary force with a horizontal component on the right side, the three members cannot all be experiencing tension. Therefore, the book has a typo and either one or two of the members are experiencing a compressive force.

Is this logic correct?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 5,342
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would agree.
If all three of those are tensions, then there would be positive tension across the length of the truss and the anchor points (A and G) would not be simple vertical supports.

I confirm. I get 26.8 N compression in KJ and 10.8 N tension in CJ.

1. What is statics?

Statics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the study of objects at rest or in constant motion. It involves analyzing the forces acting on an object and determining its equilibrium state.

2. What is a truss?

A truss is a structure made up of interconnected bars or beams that are designed to support a load by transferring the forces through the structure to the supports.

3. What are compression and tension forces?

Compression and tension are two types of forces that act on a truss. Compression forces are compressive in nature, meaning they push towards the center of the truss and compress the bars. Tension forces, on the other hand, are tensile in nature, meaning they pull away from the center of the truss and stretch the bars.

4. How are compression and tension forces distributed in a truss?

In a truss, compression and tension forces are distributed among the bars based on the load and the geometry of the truss. The bars that are subjected to more compressive forces will experience compression, while the bars that are subjected to more tensile forces will experience tension.

5. How do you calculate the forces in a truss?

The forces in a truss can be calculated by using the method of joints or the method of sections. In the method of joints, the forces at each joint are calculated by considering the equilibrium of forces. In the method of sections, the forces in specific sections of the truss are calculated by cutting the truss and analyzing the forces acting on the section.