Simple typo question: Radial & circumferential components of velocity

In summary, the author is talking about a particle moving on a curve and the rate of change of θ. The equation for this is given as r = 1 + cos(θ). It is also attached as TheSolution.jpeg, should it prove useful. The author is asking for the radial and circumferential components of the velocity for the point with rectangular coordinates [½ + 1/√(2), ½ + 1/√(2)]. The answer is found by differentiation of the equation.
s3a

Homework Statement

Here is the part of the problem that I am referring to (that is also fully portrayed in a more aesthetically-pleasing manner in the TheProblem.jpeg attachment).:
Consider a particle moving on the curve whose equation in polar coordinates is r = 1 + cos(θ). The rate of change of θ is given as 2 radius per second. The solution to part (a) is also attached as TheSolution.jpeg, should it prove useful.

Determine for the point with rectangular coordinates [½ + 1/√(2), ½ + 1/√(2)] the
(a) radial and circumferential components of the velocity.

Homework Equations

Derivatives, chain rule and trigonometry.

The Attempt at a Solution

In the problem, it says that the rate of change of θ is given as 2 RADIUS … I just wanted to ask/confirm if the author intends to say 2 RADIANS or 2 RADII. I think the author meant RADIANS because, it seems more likely that the θ (angle) variable uses an angular unit. So, what would be the value of ##ν_r## when the units are included? Would the value be –√(2) radians/second or radii/second? My confusion arises from the fact that I am searching for the velocity along the radius but, I think the rate of change of θ as time passes is in radians but, I would very much appreciate any confirmation/contradiction!

Attachments

• TheProblem.jpeg
    TheProblem.jpeg
    38.8 KB · Views: 507
  • TheSolution.jpeg
    TheSolution.jpeg
    23.2 KB · Views: 486
Physics news on Phys.org
s3a said:

Homework Statement

Here is the part of the problem that I am referring to (that is also fully portrayed in a more aesthetically-pleasing manner in the TheProblem.jpeg attachment).:
Consider a particle moving on the curve whose equation in polar coordinates is r = 1 + cos(θ). The rate of change of θ is given as 2 radius per second. The solution to part (a) is also attached as TheSolution.jpeg, should it prove useful.

Determine for the point with rectangular coordinates [½ + 1/√(2), ½ + 1/√(2)] the
(a) radial and circumferential components of the velocity.

Homework Equations

Derivatives, chain rule and trigonometry.

The Attempt at a Solution

In the problem, it says that the rate of change of θ is given as 2 RADIUS … I just wanted to ask/confirm if the author intends to say 2 RADIANS or 2 RADII. I think the author meant RADIANS because, it seems more likely that the θ (angle) variable uses an angular unit. So, what would be the value of ##ν_r## when the units are included? Would the value be –√(2) radians/second or radii/second? My confusion arises from the fact that I am searching for the velocity along the radius but, I think the rate of change of θ as time passes is in radians but, I would very much appreciate any confirmation/contradiction!

You need to develop some confidence in your own understanding. If you think it should read as 'radians', just go ahead and work the problem that way and see what happens! You can compare your own solution with the one supplied; of course, there is always the possibility that the supplied solution is incorrect. Then, if your answer differs from the one supplied, you can then come to us and ask about the difference.

Trying out what you said, it seems that, if I use the word “radii” (instead of “radians”) for where it says “radius” in the question, differentiation of r = 1 + cos(θ) would yield dr/dt = dr/dθ dθ/dt = -sin(θ) (2r) = dr/dt = -2rsin(θ) which is a differential equation so, since this is not a question intended for the study of differential equations, it must be “radians” (instead of “radii”) for where it says “radius” in the question, right?

s3a said:
Trying out what you said, it seems that, if I use the word “radii” (instead of “radians”) for where it says “radius” in the question, differentiation of r = 1 + cos(θ) would yield dr/dt = dr/dθ dθ/dt = -sin(θ) (2r) = dr/dt = -2rsin(θ) which is a differential equation so, since this is not a question intended for the study of differential equations, it must be “radians” (instead of “radii”) for where it says “radius” in the question, right?

I have already suggested that you try it out for yourself. Then--after solving the problem--if your solution differs from the one supplied, come back here with questions. As I said before: try to develop some confidence in your own understanding. That is by far the best way to learn.

1. What is the difference between radial and circumferential components of velocity?

Radial velocity is the component of velocity that is directed towards or away from the center of rotation, while circumferential velocity is the component that is tangent to the circular path of motion. In other words, radial velocity measures the speed at which an object is moving towards or away from the center, while circumferential velocity measures the speed at which it is moving around the center.

2. How are radial and circumferential components of velocity related?

Radial and circumferential components of velocity are related by the Pythagorean theorem. The total velocity, or magnitude of the velocity, is equal to the square root of the sum of the squared radial and circumferential velocities. This relationship is important in understanding the overall motion of an object in circular motion.

3. Can an object have zero radial velocity but still have a non-zero circumferential velocity?

Yes, an object can have a zero radial velocity but still have a non-zero circumferential velocity. This means that the object is not moving towards or away from the center, but is still moving around the center at a constant speed.

4. How do radial and circumferential components of velocity affect the overall motion of an object?

Radial and circumferential components of velocity both contribute to the overall motion of an object in circular motion. The radial component determines the distance of the object from the center, while the circumferential component determines the speed at which it is moving around the center. Together, these components create a circular motion.

5. What is the formula for calculating radial and circumferential components of velocity?

The formula for calculating radial and circumferential components of velocity depends on the specific situation and variables involved. Generally, radial velocity can be calculated using the formula vr = ωr, where ω is the angular velocity and r is the distance from the center. Circumferential velocity can be calculated using the formula vc = 2πr/T, where T is the period of the motion and r is the distance from the center.