1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple vector train problem drawing

1. Oct 7, 2011 #1
    A ball is hanging from a long string that is tied to the ceiling of a train car traveling eastward on horizontal tracks. An observer inside the train car sees the ball hang motionless.

Draw a clearly labeled free-body diagram for the ball if the train has a uniform velocity.

i drew two vectors, but it says i got it wrong. both of my vectors are equal in lenth and are 180 degrees apart.

here's my answer image: http://i53.tinypic.com/21et2za.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2011 #2
    Maybe my intro mechanics are a bit rusty, but I can't see why that would be incorrect. If the system is in equilibrium (Fnet = 0) that means that the train is moving at a constant velocity (i.e., anet = 0). Perhaps since there is a friction force between the tracks and the train, and (by virtue of Fnet being 0) the train exerts a forward force to offset it, they want you to add vectors Ftrain = [itex]\mu[/itex]Fgi and Fk = [itex]\mu[/itex]Fg(-i)

where i is the unit vector in the direction of the train's velocity vector.

That's the best I can come up with.

4. Oct 7, 2011 #3

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks good, maybe they want 'mg' instead of 'w' for the weight vector?? I don't know why it doesn't accept it, though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook