Simple Wave Problem, But I can't figure out the answer

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a string vibrating in its third harmonic with a speed of 186m/s and a frequency of 250Hz. The amplitude of the standing wave at an antinode is 0.450cm. The questions involve calculating the amplitude, time, maximum transverse velocity, and maximum transverse acceleration at a point on the string located 15.0cm from the left-hand end. The suggested approach is to use the standard wave equation formula and find the wavelength from the given speed. The specific question about the time it takes for the string to go from its largest upward displacement to its largest downward displacement is still unanswered.
annakorish
Please help. I am desperateA string with both ends held fixed in vibrating in its third harmonic. The waves have a speed of 186m/s and a frequency of 250Hz. the amplitude of the standing wave at an antinode is 0.450cm.
A. Calculate the amplitude at point on the string a distance of 15.0 cm fromthe left-hand end of the string
B. How much time does it take the string to go from its largest upward displacement to its largest downward displacement at this point?
C. Calculate the maximum transverse velocity of the string at this point.
D. Calculate the maximum transver acceleration of the string at this point

For this problem, I know how to derive frequency, angular frequency, wavelength, length of the string, etc. but I don't know how to use these info. to solve the problem.

I just need something to start with. I have no idea how to start the problem. Thank alot.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Plug these values into the standard wave equation formula.

At time t = 0 , y_max = A sin ( k x ) , where k = 2 pi / lambda .
Notice that THIS problem uses "sin" since the string is tied down at x=0 (so y=0 there)

That place on the string acts just like an oscillator with amplitude given by y_max . You'll have to find wavelength from speed.

Hello.

I am currently working on the same problem for HW. I have every question answered except:

"B. How much time does it take the string to go from its largest upward displacement to its largest downward displacement at this point?"

What is the general technique to solve this problem? Since we want to get from the high peak to the low peak, the distance is twice the amplitude stated in the text of the problem, correct?

Thats where I'm stuck.

1. What is a simple wave problem?

A simple wave problem is a physics concept that involves the study of waves and their properties, such as wavelength, frequency, and amplitude. It is typically used to solve problems related to the behavior of waves in different mediums, such as water, air, or solids.

2. Why is it important to understand simple wave problems?

Understanding simple wave problems is important because it allows us to predict and analyze the behavior of waves in various situations. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as engineering, oceanography, and seismology.

3. What are some common examples of simple wave problems?

Some common examples of simple wave problems include the study of sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and water waves. Other examples include the behavior of seismic waves during an earthquake and the study of light waves in optics.

4. What are the key components of a simple wave problem?

The key components of a simple wave problem include the wave's wavelength, frequency, amplitude, and speed. These properties are interconnected and can be used to calculate various aspects of the wave, such as its energy or propagation direction.

5. What are some strategies for solving a simple wave problem?

Some strategies for solving a simple wave problem include identifying the known and unknown variables, using appropriate equations and formulas, and converting units to ensure consistency. It is also helpful to draw diagrams or graphs to visualize the problem and its solution.