Simple Work-Energy Problem is stumping me

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work-energy
In summary: The disk is rotating around it's center. If you painted a horizontal mark on the right side of the disk, and let the whole system swing down 90 degrees, where will the mark be? Will the disk have rotated? I think what you're getting at is that the disk did not rotate relative to the bar. This is correct. When you consider the system, you need to consider the rotation of the disk relative to some fixed set of axis. The disk will rotate relative to a set of axis fixed to the ground.If you're still having trouble accepting this, I recommend working through the problem using the inertia of the disk about point O, just so you can see that the math is the same
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

So I am going over some old problem as review. I have the solution to this problem and something is bothering me about it.

Here is the problem and solution:
Picture1-27.png
what bothers me is this: When they are finding the expression for the kinetic energy of the disk, they use I about its center 'A' and not about the hinge-point of the system 'O'.

The statement says that the "bar is welded at A"... and hence it cannot rotate about A. Angular velocity [itex]\omega[/itex] that they are using is of the bar not the disk about its center.

Shouldn't the expression for the KE of disk use I about A ?EDIT:

Picture2-16.png

I get this...the disk does not rotate, hence no KE (angular) ... but in the first version i think angular KE should be WRT point A
Here is the solution to the version where the disk is "pinned at A with a SMOOTH pin"...

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a look at their formulation of the disk's kinetic energy. It has two terms, one describing the rotation of the disk about it's center, and one describing the rotation of the disk about O. If you like, you can use the parallel axis theorem to compute the inertia of the disk about O. You should get the same answer.

The difference is that when you consider the rotation of the disk about it's own center, you need to account for the translation of the disk separately. Using the inertia of the object about it's instantaneous center of rotation has this translation "built in" to the inertia.

-Kerry

KLoux said:
Take a look at their formulation of the disk's kinetic energy. It has two terms

Yes I understand this...

one describing the rotation of the disk about it's center, and one describing the rotation of the disk about O.

...I do not understand this. It is not rotating about its center, so why does it make sense to talk about its KE like this?

Thanks,
Casey

The disk is rotating around it's center. If you painted a horizontal mark on the right side of the disk, and let the whole system swing down 90 degrees, where will the mark be? Will the disk have rotated? I think what you're getting at is that the disk did not rotate relative to the bar. This is correct. When you consider the system, you need to consider the rotation of the disk relative to some fixed set of axis. The disk will rotate relative to a set of axis fixed to the ground.

If you're still having trouble accepting this, I recommend working through the problem using the inertia of the disk about point O, just so you can see that the math is the same.

-Kerry

1. What is a simple work-energy problem?

A simple work-energy problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the work done on an object and the resulting change in its kinetic energy. This type of problem typically involves a single force acting on an object and requires knowledge of the work-energy theorem and the concept of mechanical energy.

2. How do I approach a simple work-energy problem?

To solve a simple work-energy problem, you should first identify the force acting on the object and determine the work done by that force. Then, use the work-energy theorem to calculate the change in the object's kinetic energy. Finally, use the equation for kinetic energy to find the final velocity of the object.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a simple work-energy problem?

One common mistake is forgetting to convert units when necessary. Be sure to check that all units are consistent and convert them if needed. Another mistake is forgetting to consider the direction of the force and its impact on the work done and the resulting change in kinetic energy.

4. Can you provide an example of a simple work-energy problem?

Sure! An example of a simple work-energy problem would be a cart rolling down a ramp. If the cart has a mass of 5 kg and starts at rest, and the ramp is 2 meters high and 5 meters long, what is the final velocity of the cart at the bottom of the ramp? This problem would require calculating the work done by gravity, using the work-energy theorem, and then using the equation for kinetic energy to find the final velocity.

5. How can I practice solving simple work-energy problems?

The best way to practice is to work through various examples and exercises. You can find many resources online, such as practice problems and video tutorials, to help you improve your skills. You can also try creating your own problems and solving them to further test your understanding.