Very Simple Work/Energy Pendulum Problem

• Thread starter Bread Boy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary: So just solve for x.In summary, to find the length of the pendulum arm in this problem, we can use the equations for kinetic and potential energy to set up an equation. By constructing a triangle and using trigonometry, we can find the cosine of the angle and solve for the length of the pendulum arm.
Bread Boy

Homework Statement

A 2.0kg bob of a pendulum is held at an angle of 55 degrees from the vertical. When released it reaches a maximum speed of 3.5m/s. What is the length of the pendulum arm?

Homework Equations

Ek = 1/2mv^2
Ep = mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

1/2 * 2 * 3.5 ^ 2 = 12.25 J
12.25 = 2(9.8)h
h = 0.625

That's as far as I can get. I know that the length of the pendulum arm is 0.625 plus "length - 0.625" but I'm stuck there. Help would be much appreciated :)

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw the picture - h is the vertical distance between the start position and the bottom of the arc - and you know the angle of the arc is 55 degrees.

Construct the obvious triangle and use trig.

Could you please specify what the triangle would look like and which trig functions to use? I know that h is the vertical distance between the start position and the bottom of the arc and that I should use trig on a constructed triangle but I'm a little brain dead as of now and totally stonewalled.

Did you draw the picture?
There's only like, two possible triangles.

Hint: you want the one where the third side is horizontal.
Draw it and stare at it - keep staring at it: what is the length of the hypotenuse? What is the length of the vertical side? How are these related?

I did draw the picture; there's a big triangle of which the three sides are the vertical, the string, and an imaginary horizontal line, and a small one of which the three sides are h, the imaginary horizontal, and a hypotenuse roughly where the pendulum bob would swing. I've been staring at it for a good half hour before making a topic... maybe my algebra or trig is rusty? Sorry Simon, I'm not seeing anything.

You will kick yourself...
attachment.php?attachmentid=42718&stc=1&d=1326662485.png

Write the expression for the cosine of 55 using this triangle, and solve for r.

Attachments

• pend1.png
    pend1.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 515
Thanks for the diagram! That's what I had down, and I tried to use sine law but I can only get to sin35 = (r - 0.625) / r

I hate having people spell things out for me but I am just not getting this :(

That should do it! You just used the complimentary angle.
I was suggesting you do:[tex]\cos(55)=\frac{r-h}{r}[/tex](remember SOH CAH TOA?)
But yours is exactly the same.

Now solve for r.

You can do algebra right?
This is an equation of the form: ax = x - b

1. What is a "Very Simple Work/Energy Pendulum Problem"?

A "Very Simple Work/Energy Pendulum Problem" refers to a physics problem that involves calculating the work done and energy changes of a simple pendulum, which is a mass attached to a string or rod that is able to swing freely.

2. How do you calculate the work done by a pendulum?

The work done by a pendulum can be calculated using the formula W = Fd, where W is work, F is the force applied, and d is the distance the force is applied over. In a pendulum, the force is the weight of the mass, and the distance is the vertical displacement of the mass from its resting position.

3. What is the relationship between the potential energy and kinetic energy of a pendulum?

The potential energy and kinetic energy of a pendulum are constantly changing as the pendulum swings back and forth. At the highest point of its swing, the potential energy is at its maximum and the kinetic energy is at its minimum. At the lowest point of its swing, the potential energy is at its minimum and the kinetic energy is at its maximum. This relationship is known as the conservation of energy.

4. How does the length of the pendulum affect its energy?

The length of the pendulum affects its energy by changing the period of its swing. A longer pendulum has a longer period, meaning it takes longer to complete one swing. This results in a lower frequency and lower energy. A shorter pendulum has a shorter period, meaning it takes less time to complete one swing. This results in a higher frequency and higher energy.

5. Can you use the work-energy theorem to solve a "Very Simple Work/Energy Pendulum Problem"?

Yes, the work-energy theorem can be used to solve a "Very Simple Work/Energy Pendulum Problem". The theorem states that the work done on an object equals the change in its kinetic energy. By calculating the work done on the pendulum, you can determine the change in its kinetic energy and use that to solve the problem.