1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplify and Solve Trig Equation

1. Jan 14, 2007 #1

Gib Z

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Simplify and Solve the Following Trigonometric Equation

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\cos^2 x - 3\cos x - 2\sin x +2 =0 [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I've changed the expression, but it doesn't seem any better...

I've got [tex]\frac{\cot x \cdot (\cos (x) -3)}{2}=1 - \csc x[/tex]

But that doesn't seem to help me at all...Stuck badly.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2007 #2
    Solving equations that only contain sin x or cos x is easier than an equation that contains both.

4. Jan 14, 2007 #3

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Yes, I know how to solve those ones. Unfortunately this one didn't come this way...

5. Jan 14, 2007 #4

mjsd

Homework Helper

try using the fact that if [tex]t=\tan\frac{x}{2}[/tex] then
    [tex]\displaystyle{\cos x = \frac{1-t^2}{1+t^2}}[/tex] and
    [tex]\displaystyle{\sin x = \frac{2t}{1+t^2}}[/tex], solve for [tex]t[/tex], should be a quatic eqn and then you can solve for [tex]x[/tex].

NB: may not be the simplest way to do things, but at least in principle this will work. would like to see if there is a simpler way to do this....

6. Jan 14, 2007 #5

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Upon substituting [tex]\cos(x)=\frac{1}{2}(e^{ix}+e^{-ix}})[/tex] and [tex]\sin(x)=\frac{1}{2i}(e^{ix}-e^{-ix}})[/tex], where [tex]i^2=-1[/tex], you end up with a quartic polynomial in one variable "[tex]e^{ix}[/tex]", which generally has four solutions.

If the above method is not allowed or not what is expected, you probably have to rewrite the equation in terms of one trigonometric-function of x [using trig identities], as suggested by Moridin.

7. Jan 14, 2007 #6

Gib Z

Homework Helper

I have absolutely no idea how to do this using identities, just makes anything I do more messy and doesnt help. And I don't think this problem should require math from that level, but ill try it. Solving quartics are hard though...

8. Jan 14, 2007 #7

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I (hopefully correctly) typed in the equation to Maple and asked for solutions. Two of the four roots for x are real (and will probably arise simply).. the other two are complex and are not pretty (though trig function of these may be prettier).

9. Jan 14, 2007 #8

mjsd

Homework Helper

if you use my method, the quartic in [tex]t[/tex] that you need to solve is actually very easy to do! try it! Hint: there are two real integer roots, the remaining complex roots can then be easily worked out using the quadratic equation. Finding [tex]x[/tex] is then a matter of inverting the [tex]\tan[/tex].
    NB: robphy's method is in essence the same; the only difference is that you introduce complex numbers from the very beginning.

10. Jan 14, 2007 #9

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Maybe there is a simpler way. I didn't actaully post my original question, but what I got it to correctly, heres the whole thing.

cos^3 x-3cos^2 x+ cos x = 2cos(x/2 + pi/4)sin(3x/2 - pi/4)
    cos^3 x-3cos^2 x+ cos x= sin2x - cos x
    cos^3 x-3cos^2 x+ 2cos x - 2sinxcosx=0
    cos x(cos^2 - 3cos x +2 - 2sin x)=0

Now I'll do the first one, cos x=0, now I needed the 2nd part. Was there an easier way from the start?

Ill try using the t, looks good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?