Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Simplify and Solve Trig Equation

1. Jan 14, 2007 #1

Gib Z

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Simplify and Solve the Following Trigonometric Equation

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\cos^2 x - 3\cos x - 2\sin x +2 =0 [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I've changed the expression, but it doesn't seem any better...

I've got [tex]\frac{\cot x \cdot (\cos (x) -3)}{2}=1 - \csc x[/tex]

But that doesn't seem to help me at all...Stuck badly.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2007 #2
    Solving equations that only contain sin x or cos x is easier than an equation that contains both.

4. Jan 14, 2007 #3

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Yes, I know how to solve those ones. Unfortunately this one didn't come this way...

5. Jan 14, 2007 #4

mjsd

Homework Helper

try using the fact that if [tex]t=\tan\frac{x}{2}[/tex] then
    [tex]\displaystyle{\cos x = \frac{1-t^2}{1+t^2}}[/tex] and
    [tex]\displaystyle{\sin x = \frac{2t}{1+t^2}}[/tex], solve for [tex]t[/tex], should be a quatic eqn and then you can solve for [tex]x[/tex].

NB: may not be the simplest way to do things, but at least in principle this will work. would like to see if there is a simpler way to do this....

6. Jan 14, 2007 #5

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Upon substituting [tex]\cos(x)=\frac{1}{2}(e^{ix}+e^{-ix}})[/tex] and [tex]\sin(x)=\frac{1}{2i}(e^{ix}-e^{-ix}})[/tex], where [tex]i^2=-1[/tex], you end up with a quartic polynomial in one variable "[tex]e^{ix}[/tex]", which generally has four solutions.

If the above method is not allowed or not what is expected, you probably have to rewrite the equation in terms of one trigonometric-function of x [using trig identities], as suggested by Moridin.

7. Jan 14, 2007 #6

Gib Z

Homework Helper

I have absolutely no idea how to do this using identities, just makes anything I do more messy and doesnt help. And I don't think this problem should require math from that level, but ill try it. Solving quartics are hard though...

8. Jan 14, 2007 #7

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I (hopefully correctly) typed in the equation to Maple and asked for solutions. Two of the four roots for x are real (and will probably arise simply).. the other two are complex and are not pretty (though trig function of these may be prettier).

9. Jan 14, 2007 #8

mjsd

Homework Helper

if you use my method, the quartic in [tex]t[/tex] that you need to solve is actually very easy to do! try it! Hint: there are two real integer roots, the remaining complex roots can then be easily worked out using the quadratic equation. Finding [tex]x[/tex] is then a matter of inverting the [tex]\tan[/tex].
    NB: robphy's method is in essence the same; the only difference is that you introduce complex numbers from the very beginning.

10. Jan 14, 2007 #9

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Maybe there is a simpler way. I didn't actaully post my original question, but what I got it to correctly, heres the whole thing.

cos^3 x-3cos^2 x+ cos x = 2cos(x/2 + pi/4)sin(3x/2 - pi/4)
    cos^3 x-3cos^2 x+ cos x= sin2x - cos x
    cos^3 x-3cos^2 x+ 2cos x - 2sinxcosx=0
    cos x(cos^2 - 3cos x +2 - 2sin x)=0

Now I'll do the first one, cos x=0, now I needed the 2nd part. Was there an easier way from the start?

Ill try using the t, looks good.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook