Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplifying a fraction as a surd?

  1. May 10, 2007 #1
    Simplifying a fraction as a surd??

    If I have a rather large fraction such as 115/36 there is no obvious way of cancelling this, but is there a way of expressing it as a surd?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2007 #2


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

    What do you mean by "expressing it as a surd"? Writing either numerator or denominator as a square root of yet a larger number would hardly strike me as "simplifying". (And do you really consider 115/36 as a "large fraction"? How about writing it as 3 and 7/36?)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Similar Discussions: Simplifying a fraction as a surd?
  1. Laplacing the surd (Replies: 2)