Simplifying a solution that has complex eigenvalues

In summary, the conversation discusses a specific type of problem involving Euler's formula and the attempt to solve it using a particular solution form. The individual is seeking an explanation for how to simplify their solution to match the answer in the book.
Jamin2112

Homework Statement

I'll give an example.

Ex: x'=[-1/2 1; -1 -1/2]x.

Homework Equations

Assume a solution of the form x=$ert for these type of problems.

Euler's formula: ebi = cosb + isinb

The Attempt at a Solution

|A-rI|=0

---> r= -1/2 +/- i

---> x= e-t/2 ( C1(cost + isint)(1 i)T + C2(cos(-t) +isin(-t))(1 -i)T )

I understand that I can simplify a little with the fact that sin(-t)=sin(t) and cos(-t)=-cos(t), but I don't understand how to simplify it all the way to

C1e-t/2 (cost -sint)T + C2e-t/2(sint cost)T,

which is the answer in the book.

So, explain.

Physics news on Phys.org
so basically your 2 linearly independent solutions are

[tex] \textbf{x}_1 = e^{-t/2}(cos(t) + i.sin(t))(\begin{matrix} 1 \\ i \end{matrix}) [/tex]
[tex] \textbf{x}_2 = e^{-t/2} (cos(-t) + i.sin(-t))(\begin{matrix} 1 \\ -i \end{matrix}) [/tex]

note that any linear combination of these will also be a solution, so perhaps you could try taking 2 linear combinations that simplify things... making sure they are still linearly independent

1. How do you determine if a solution has complex eigenvalues?

The eigenvalues of a solution can be determined by finding the roots of the characteristic equation, which is formed by setting the determinant of the coefficient matrix equal to 0. If the roots are complex numbers, then the solution has complex eigenvalues.

2. Why is it important to simplify a solution with complex eigenvalues?

Simplifying a solution with complex eigenvalues can make it easier to understand and work with. It can also reveal underlying patterns and relationships that may not be apparent in the original complex form.

3. What methods can be used to simplify a solution with complex eigenvalues?

There are several methods that can be used to simplify a solution with complex eigenvalues, including diagonalization, Jordan canonical form, and matrix exponentiation. It is important to choose the most appropriate method for the specific problem at hand.

4. Can a solution with complex eigenvalues be simplified to real numbers?

Yes, a solution with complex eigenvalues can be simplified to real numbers. This is often done using trigonometric functions, such as cosine and sine, to express the complex numbers in terms of real numbers.

5. How does simplifying a solution with complex eigenvalues affect the accuracy of the solution?

Simplifying a solution with complex eigenvalues does not affect the accuracy of the solution. The simplification process only changes the way the solution is expressed, but the underlying values and relationships remain the same.