1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplifying a sum involving lnx

1. Sep 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to show that the lim n->inf ( [(1/n) * sum from k=1 to n of ln(k) ] - ln(n) )
    is equal to the lim n->inf ( (1/n) sum from k=1 to n of ln(k/n) )

3. The attempt at a solution
    I showed that the sum of ln(n) from k=1 to n is ln(n!) using ln(a) + ln(b) = ln(a+b). I am not sure how to get from (1/n)ln(n!) - ln(n) to (1/n)sum-ln(k/n).

I apologize for the non-tex stuff.... but I am not sure how to do some of the symbols for this in tex yet. Thank you for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2012 #2
    ln(a) + ln(b) ≠ ln(a+b), but ln(a) + ln(b) = ln(ab).
    Try working with that.

4. Sep 16, 2012 #3
    Whoops. Actually that was a typo in my first post. I know that ln(a)+ln(b) ≠ ln(a+b):redface:

5. Sep 16, 2012 #4
    Did you try calculating both the limits seperately?

6. Sep 16, 2012 #5
    I have found a solution to this. Continuing from where you left, i can write it as:
    [tex]\frac{\ln (n!)-n\ln (n)}{n}[/tex]
    which is equal to
    [tex]\frac{\ln (\frac{n!}{n^n})}{n}[/tex]

We can write the last term as
    [tex]\frac{1}{n}(\ln \frac{1}{n}+\ln \frac{2}{n}+\ln \frac{3}{n}......[/tex]

7. Sep 16, 2012 #6
    Oooh. I got up to (1/n)ln(n!/n^n) but did not see that it gives what you have for the last step. After thinking about it I can see why this is. Also, I did try to calculate both limits separately... but I could not find a way to the solution by doing so. I appreciate your input.

I was looking at ln(n!) as [ ln(n) + ln(n-1) + ln(n-2) + ... + ln(2) + ln(1) ] instead of in the opposite order, or [ ln(1) + ln(2) + ln(3) + ... ln(n-1) + ln(n) ]. After I reversed the order, I saw how you obtained the solution :-p

Thank you for your input and help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook