Simplifying a sum involving lnx

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit of two expressions involving natural logarithms. The first expression involves a sum from k=1 to n of ln(k), while the second expression involves a sum from k=1 to n of ln(k/n). The conversation also touches on using the property ln(a) + ln(b) = ln(ab) and calculating the limits separately. Ultimately, the solution is found by rearranging the terms in ln(n!) and using the expression ln(a) + ln(b) = ln(ab).
dustbin

Homework Statement

I need to show that the lim n->inf ( [(1/n) * sum from k=1 to n of ln(k) ] - ln(n) )
is equal to the lim n->inf ( (1/n) sum from k=1 to n of ln(k/n) )

The Attempt at a Solution

I showed that the sum of ln(n) from k=1 to n is ln(n!) using ln(a) + ln(b) = ln(a+b). I am not sure how to get from (1/n)ln(n!) - ln(n) to (1/n)sum-ln(k/n).

I apologize for the non-tex stuff... but I am not sure how to do some of the symbols for this in tex yet. Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
ln(a) + ln(b) ≠ ln(a+b), but ln(a) + ln(b) = ln(ab).
Try working with that.

Whoops. Actually that was a typo in my first post. I know that ln(a)+ln(b) ≠ ln(a+b):redface:

Did you try calculating both the limits seperately?

I have found a solution to this. Continuing from where you left, i can write it as:
[tex]\frac{\ln (n!)-n\ln (n)}{n}[/tex]
which is equal to
[tex]\frac{\ln (\frac{n!}{n^n})}{n}[/tex]

We can write the last term as
[tex]\frac{1}{n}(\ln \frac{1}{n}+\ln \frac{2}{n}+\ln \frac{3}{n}...[/tex]

Oooh. I got up to (1/n)ln(n!/n^n) but did not see that it gives what you have for the last step. After thinking about it I can see why this is. Also, I did try to calculate both limits separately... but I could not find a way to the solution by doing so. I appreciate your input.

I was looking at ln(n!) as [ ln(n) + ln(n-1) + ln(n-2) + ... + ln(2) + ln(1) ] instead of in the opposite order, or [ ln(1) + ln(2) + ln(3) + ... ln(n-1) + ln(n) ]. After I reversed the order, I saw how you obtained the solution :-p

Thank you for your input and help.

1. What is the purpose of simplifying a sum involving lnx?

The purpose of simplifying a sum involving lnx is to make the expression easier to work with and understand. It can also help in solving equations involving lnx.

2. How do you simplify a sum involving lnx?

To simplify a sum involving lnx, you can use logarithm rules and algebraic manipulation. For example, you can use the rule ln(ab) = ln(a) + ln(b) to break down the sum into smaller parts.

3. Can you simplify a sum involving lnx without using logarithm rules?

Yes, you can also simplify a sum involving lnx by using algebraic manipulation and properties of exponents. However, using logarithm rules may make the process easier and more efficient.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when simplifying a sum involving lnx?

Some common mistakes to avoid when simplifying a sum involving lnx include forgetting to apply logarithm rules, making sign errors, and not simplifying fully. It is important to check your work and simplify as much as possible.

5. How can simplifying a sum involving lnx be useful in real-life applications?

Simplifying a sum involving lnx can be useful in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. It can help in solving equations involving natural logarithms, which are commonly used in these fields to model real-life situations.