1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplifying natural log of complex number

1. Oct 3, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem is to sketch lines of constant u and v in the image plane for the function Log[(z+1)/(z-1)].

2. Relevant equations

z=x+iy

3. The attempt at a solution

In order to do this I have to get the expression into u+iv form, so that I can read off and manipulate the u and v aspects of the function. What I can't figure out is how to get this equation into u+iv form.

I know that for Ln[z], I can write Ln[reitheta] = Ln[r] + itheta. Then u=Ln[r] and v=theta. But having that added +1 in the natural log is really throwing me off. Does anyone have any ideas for how to get this into u+iv form? Is there some obvious rule for simplifying the logarithm of a sum that I'm forgetting?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2015 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

[itex]\ln f(z) = \ln |f(z)| + i\arg(f(z))[/itex].

It might be easier to write [itex]\ln\frac{z + 1}{z-1} = \ln(z+1) - \ln(z - 1)[/itex] first.

4. Oct 3, 2015 #3
    Thanks for your response. I think I'm starting to get it now that I've seen it in general form. Here is what I'm getting:

The modulus of (z+1) is [(x+1)2+y2]1/2, since 1 is a real number and therefore addends itself to the x-component of the modulus.

The argument of z+1 remains unchanged and is equal to theta.

Therefore ln(z+1) = ln[(x+1)^2 + y^2]^1/2 + i(theta).

Is that on the right track?

I'm also wondering how you go about justifying the generalization in the first line of your post. It's clearly true when f(z)=z, but how do you get from there to the general case of taking the modulus and the argument more abstractly?

5. Oct 3, 2015 #4

pasmith

Homework Helper

Are you sure? [itex]\tan (\arg(z+1)) = \frac{y}{x+1}[/itex] which is not in general equal to [itex]\frac yx[/itex].

[itex]z[/itex] in [itex]\ln z = \ln |z| + i\arg(z)[/itex] is just a (non-zero) complex number. You can replace it with any other collection of symbols which represent a (non-zero) complex number and the equation still holds.

6. Oct 3, 2015 #5
    O boy, that was pretty dumb. I think I'm actually getting it now.

So ln(z+1) = ln[(x+1)^2+y^2] 1/2+ i[arctan(y/(x+1))]. Is that right?

That makes so much sense, I don't know why I had a block on it before. Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted