1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplifying rational numbers help

1. Dec 22, 2009 #1
    [tex]\frac{1+\sqrt{2}}{3-\sqrt{2}}[/tex] as [tex]a+b\sqrt{2}[/tex] where a and b are rational numbers.

I started by
    [tex]\frac{1+\sqrt{2}}{3-\sqrt{2}} * \frac{3+\sqrt{2}}{3+\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

But, I obtain

I believe that, here, a and b are rational, but is there a more tidy version? I tried playing with the square root so that it is a multiple of 2, so that I could 'split' it into two square roots, on of the square root of two so that I could use it to cancel out the square root of two on the bottom, then I could also remove the other square root if it was a rational square root. For example, I tried:

[tex]\frac{1+\sqrt{2}}{3-\sqrt{2}} * \frac{x+\sqrt{8}}{x+\sqrt{8}}[/tex]
    [tex]\sqrt{8}= \sqrt{2*4} = \sqrt{2} * \sqrt{4} = 2\sqrt{2}[/tex]

I haven't specified x, since its just an example. I actually tried making a relationship between x and the square root I introduced, since I could represent it algebraically as
    where g is a multiple of two, would give

I'm guessing its more straight forward than this.
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2009 #2

Staff: Mentor

Re: Simplifying

The sign in the middle is wrong -- should be +.
    I don't believe there is. Assuming you make the correction I mentioned, you will have written the original expression in the form a + b*sqrt(2), where a and be are rational. You can't get any tidier than that.
  4. Dec 22, 2009 #3

Homework Helper

Quite ambitious, but no. Since the original expression is irrational, if you're going to simplify it, it will always still be irrational. That is why the [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] must be there. You can of course "simplify" it into many different ways, but there wil always be an irrational portion of the expression.
  5. Dec 23, 2009 #4

Many thanks Mark44 and Mentallic.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook