1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplifying square root of an irrational

1. Jan 5, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find [(3 - 51/2)/2]1/2

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My calculator says (-1 + √5)/2
    I have no idea how. Rationalising doesn't really do much good. Just tell me where to start.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Multiplying the original expression with ##\sqrt{2}/\sqrt{2}## will give you ##\sqrt{6-2\sqrt{5}}## in the numerator. Then think of the terms under the radical as having the form of ##(a-b)^2 = a^2-2ab+b^2##.

4. Jan 5, 2016 #3
    Could you please elaborate? I'm not getting anywhere. I assume you mean use something like completing the square but I can't do it.

5. Jan 5, 2016 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do you get after multiplying the original expression with ##\frac{\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{2}}##?

6. Jan 5, 2016 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You could also try working the other direction. Find the square of ##\frac{-1 + \sqrt 5}{2}## and see how it simplifies.

7. Jan 5, 2016 #6
    Oh I got that, ie √(6-2√5) ÷ 2
    I don't get what I'm supposed to do after this.

8. Jan 5, 2016 #7

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is √(6-2√5) ÷ 2. Then express the terms under the radical in the form I wrote in post #2, that is, write ##6-2√5 = a^2+b^2-2ab## . FInd the right pair of ##a## and ##b## such that the LHS is equal to RHS.

9. Jan 5, 2016 #8
    Got it! Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted