Simplifying the Derivative of y=cos[(8t-7)^{\frac{-6}{7}}]

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
temaire
Messages
275
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find the first derivative of the function [tex]y=cos[(8t-7)^{\frac{-6}{7}}][/tex]



The Attempt at a Solution


Here is my answer:
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{48sin[(8t-7)^{\frac{-6}{7}}]}{7(8t-7)^{\frac{13}{7}}}[/tex]

How can I simplify this further?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can't simplify it in any significant way. Just leave it as it is.
 
Dick said:
You can't simplify it in any significant way. Just leave it as it is.

Well the thing is, I'm using a program called MathXL, and when I try to submit this answer, it rejects it.
 
So you think the program is just malfunctioning? I doubt this because a friend of mine had the same problem as well.
 
I know your answer is correct, even if the machine doesn't.
 
The answer is correct, but it looks like they wanted all the exponents to be positive. I put this in, and got it right.

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{48sin[\frac{1}{(8t-7)^{\frac{6}{7}}}]}{7(8t-7)^{\frac{13}{7}}}[/tex]
 
Good job. Shows you the limitations of the program. I really wish good answers weren't subjected to this hoop jumping.