Derivative of (x^2-x^-1+1)(x^3+2x-6)^7; cannot simplify

In summary, the conversation focused on finding the derivative of a complex function using the product and chain rule. The solution provided by the student had some errors which were corrected by another member, resulting in the correct answer. However, the student's book had a further simplified answer which they were struggling to reach. There was a suggestion to practice algebra and use the distributive property to try and simplify the solution further. It was also mentioned that spending too much time on simplification may not be the best use of time.
biochem850

Homework Statement

Find the derivative of (x^2-x^-1+1)(x^3+2x-6)^7

Homework Equations

This is a product so I used the product and chain rule where appropriate

The Attempt at a Solution

(x^3+2x-6)[7(x^2-x^-1+1)(3x^2+2)]+[(x^3+2x-6)(2x+1/x^2)]

This is as far as I could get in my simplification. My book has an answer which is further simplified. I now that I must know combine the two bracketed factors but when I do this my answers doesn't equal my text's answer. I'm usually fine with the algebra involved in simplifying but I simply do not see where my error lies.

This is one of my first higher level math courses and I'm really trying to solidify the skills being introduced.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution looks correct with the exception of missing exponents on two terms. Do you see where?

intwo said:
Your solution looks correct with the exception of missing exponents on two terms. Do you see where?

My bad: (x^3+2x-6)^6[7(x^2-x^-1+1)(3x^2+2)]+[(x^3+2x-6)(2x+1/x^2)]

I don't see the other error.

biochem850 said:
My bad: (x^3+2x-6)^6[7(x^2-x^-1+1)(3x^2+2)]+[(x^3+2x-6)(2x+1/x^2)]

I don't see the other error.

You're missing a power of 7 on the other factor of x3+2x-6, the one in the second term.

You should also have an exponent of 7.

[itex]7(x^{2} - x^{-1} +1)(x^{3}+2x - 6)^{6}(3x^{2} + 2) + (x^{3} + 2x - 6)^{7}(2x + x^{-2})[/itex]

Try using the distributive property on those terms and see if you get the answer in the back of the book. I don't see any need to simplify it besides practicing algebra, but maybe some terms will cross out or something.

intwo said:
You should also have an exponent of 7.

[itex]7(x^{2} - x^{-1} +1)(x^{3}+2x - 6)^{6}(3x^{2} + 2) + (x^{3} + 2x - 6)^{7}(2x + x^{-2})[/itex]

Try using the distributive property on those terms and see if you get the answer in the back of the book. I don't see any need to simplify it besides practicing algebra, but maybe some terms will cross out or something.

I factored out the (x^3+2x-6)^6 and got:

(x^3+2x-6)^6[7(x^2-x^-1+1)(3x^2+2)]+[(x^3+2x-6)(2x+x^-2)]. Is this erroneous?

biochem850 said:
I factored out the (x^3+2x-6)^6 and got:

(x^3+2x-6)^6[7(x^2-x^-1+1)(3x^2+2)]+[(x^3+2x-6)(2x+x^-2)]. Is this erroneous?

Looks good. What is the answer that your book gives? You may need to multiply those terms in the brackets.

intwo said:
Looks good. What is the answer that your book gives? You may need to multiply those terms in the brackets.

The text's answer:

[(x^3+2x-6)^6/x^2]* (23x^6+39x^4-32x^3+14x^2-12x-6)

Any suggestion? I multiplied the terms in brackets and my answers is quite different from the text's.

biochem850 said:
Any suggestion? I multiplied the terms in brackets and my answers is quite different from the text's.

You are going to need to factor out an x^(-2) as well. And nobody can tell you what you did wrong until you show what you got and how you got it. And I'm going to agree with intwo. You know how to differentiate, that's clear. Spending a whole lot of time on simplification questions might not be the best use of time.

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It essentially measures how much a function changes when its input changes.

2. How do you find the derivative of a function?

The derivative of a function is found by using the rules of differentiation, which involve taking the limit of a difference quotient as the input values get closer and closer together. In simpler terms, it involves finding the slope of a tangent line to the function at a specific point.

3. Can all functions be differentiated?

No, not all functions can be differentiated. Some functions, such as those with discontinuities or sharp corners, do not have a well-defined derivative at certain points.

4. What is the purpose of finding a derivative?

The main purpose of finding a derivative is to understand how a function is changing at a specific point. This information can be useful in many fields, such as physics, economics, and engineering, where understanding the rate of change is crucial.

5. Why is it not possible to simplify the derivative of (x^2-x^-1+1)(x^3+2x-6)^7?

The derivative of a function is a measure of its instantaneous rate of change, and it is not always possible to simplify this value. In the given function, there are multiple terms and exponents, making it difficult to simplify the derivative to a single value.