Simulating a pool system - concentrations help

• Thread starter Apollonian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the conversation is about simulating a pool with specific concentrations of cyanuric acid and chlorine, as well as a buffer. The question is how to incorporate a given amount of available chlorine (125g/L) into the desired concentration and volume. The poster attempted to use the equation C1V1=C2V2 to calculate the needed volume of chlorine, but it is unclear how much chlorine and water are needed for the pool. The solution proposed is to create a stock solution of 1ppm of chlorine and add it to 1 litre of distilled water.
Apollonian

Homework Statement

For part of my course I have to simulate a pool. In the pool there will be a 40ppm solution of cyanuric acid, a 1ppm solution of chlorine (sodium hypochlorite) and a buffer (i have no idea of the compound so its moot trying to figure it out)
I have been given a figure of 125g/L of availible chlorine. The question is how do i incorporate this into my concentration needed; but more importantly, is my volume of chlorine correct for the dilution?
(C1 and V2 are 1 mole and 1000mg/L respectively

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/]
C1V1=C2V2
1ppm of sodium hypochlorite in moles is .001/74.442 =1.34 x 10^-5 approx
thus V1= 1.34 x 10^-5 x 1000
thus V1 = 0.0134mL

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1 ppm = 1 mg/L
Given 125 ppm
Wanted to be reduced to 1 ppm
You have no data of the amount of Chlorine, e.g. 1L, you have and the amount of water you need in the pool...

I 500ml of chlorine. I need 1 litre of water. I just need to make a stock solution of 1ppm of chlorine to add to 1 litre of distilled water.

jackscholar said:
I 500ml of chlorine. I need 1 litre of water. I just need to make a stock solution of 1ppm of chlorine to add to 1 litre of distilled water.

We are still waiting for a first comprehensible post in the thread.

As a scientist, my response would be to first clarify the purpose of the simulation. Is it to understand the chemical reactions happening in the pool system or to determine the appropriate concentrations for pool maintenance? This will help guide the approach to the problem.

Assuming the goal is to determine the appropriate concentrations for pool maintenance, the first step would be to calculate the amount of chlorine needed for the pool based on its volume. This can be done using the given figure of 125g/L of available chlorine and the formula C1V1=C2V2, as shown in the attempt at a solution.

Next, it is important to consider the dilution factor and the desired concentration of chlorine in the pool. This will depend on factors such as the size of the pool, frequency of use, and environmental conditions. It may be helpful to consult with a pool maintenance expert to determine the appropriate concentration of chlorine for the specific pool being simulated.

As for the other components in the pool, such as cyanuric acid and buffer, it is important to also consider their concentrations and how they may interact with the chlorine. This can be done through research and understanding of the chemistry involved.

Overall, simulating a pool system involves considering multiple factors and their interactions. It is important to have a clear understanding of the purpose of the simulation and to consult with experts in the field to ensure accurate and appropriate results.

What is a pool system?

A pool system refers to a closed system in which a substance, such as a chemical or solution, is present in a specific volume of water. This system can be simulated in a laboratory setting to study the behavior and concentrations of the substance over time.

Why is it important to simulate a pool system?

Simulating a pool system allows scientists to understand the dynamics of a substance in a controlled environment. This can help in predicting how the substance will behave in a real-world setting, and can aid in developing strategies for managing or controlling its concentrations.

How is a pool system simulated?

A pool system can be simulated by setting up a closed container of water with a known volume and adding a measured amount of the substance to be studied. The container is then stirred or agitated to ensure even distribution of the substance. Samples are taken at regular intervals to measure the concentrations of the substance over time.

What factors can affect the concentrations in a pool system?

The concentration of a substance in a pool system can be affected by various factors, such as the initial amount of the substance added, the volume of water in the system, the rate of stirring or agitation, and any chemical or physical processes that may occur within the system.

How can the data from a simulated pool system be analyzed?

The data from a simulated pool system can be analyzed using mathematical models and equations that describe the behavior of the substance over time. These models can also take into account any factors that may affect the concentrations in the system. Additionally, statistical analysis can be used to interpret the data and draw conclusions about the behavior of the substance in the system.