Simulating particle motion in real time

In summary: I understand that you need to know this in order to solve a diffusion equation, but how do I get this information? If I could somehow extract this information from the simulation, then I could probably do the diffusion equation and get the end result.
Niles
Hi

I am trying to simulate N particles evaporating from an oven, after which they propagate and eventually hit a wall. it is all classically, no quantum behavior. So far my approach has been the following:

I pick a random Gaussianly distribution number, which I say is the velocity of the particle. Then the particle moves and hits the wall at some point. After a run I know how many particles have left the oven and how many atoms have hit the wall and where.

I would like to refine my simulation, such that I know e.g. the flux of atoms hitting the wall. I'm not sure how to do this most properly, because ultimately I guess it requires for me to keep track of the time as well - which I am not doing currently.

Can anyone give me a hint/suggestion to how I can do this? I would be very happy in that case.Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
To me it's a bit unclear what you want to simulate exactly. You say you don't want to do quantum mechanics yet you're talking about atoms. Do you want to solve the heat/diffusion equation of a gas in a box (your oven) using a Monte Carlo method?
First, you must make sure then that your Gaussian distribution matches the binary diffusion coefficient of the gas. As for fluxes, you cannot use the 'one-particle-at-a-time' approach. You have to simulate a lot of particles at the same time to get this. just loop over N (say,1000) particles and solve a Langevin equation for each of them, calculating their new velocity and position. After each iteration, calculate for each cell in your domain the quantities you're interested in. Test your implementation using an exact solution of the heat equation

Hope this helps

Hi

Thanks for replying so fast. OK, I'll elaborate on my OP: I want to simulate the behavior of some atoms that effuse from an oven, but I assume that I can do it classically. So no QM for now. I want to do it such that I can get quantities like the flux, but you said that a "one-particle-at-a-time"-approach is not an option. I did not know that, thanks for that!

The problem now is that I am not sure how to assign a velocity vector to an atom, after it leaves the oven. The component must depend on the oven aperture (I would intuitively expect that), but I am not sure what distribution describes the three components.

Thanks for the help so far.Niles.

I think effusion is modeled the same as Brownian motion (as in: you can use a Langevin equation for both processes), except with a different stochastic component. If you choose the variance of the Wiener increment (the Gaussian random factor) to be equal to the expected effusion rms (sqrt(3kBT/M) according to the wiki page) than you'll be fine. I guess for the drag of the effusing particles you can use Stokes' law, like for Brownian particles.

Sorry for my late reply, but I've been thinking about this for a while. Your latest suggestion requires that I also keep track of atoms inside the iven and that is way beyond what I am trying to do. Rather I am interested in the "end result", i.e. if I have e.g. 10.000 particles emerging from the oven, then how are their (vx, vy, vz) distributed.

1. What is the purpose of simulating particle motion in real time?

The purpose of simulating particle motion in real time is to model and study the behavior of individual particles in a system, such as gases, liquids, or solids, in order to understand their interactions and how they contribute to the overall behavior of the system.

2. What are some common methods used for simulating particle motion in real time?

Some common methods for simulating particle motion in real time include molecular dynamics simulations, Monte Carlo simulations, and lattice Boltzmann methods.

3. What factors influence the accuracy of particle motion simulations?

The accuracy of particle motion simulations can be influenced by factors such as the complexity of the system being simulated, the accuracy of the physical models and equations used, and the computational resources available.

4. How can simulations of particle motion be validated?

Simulations of particle motion can be validated by comparing the results to experimental data or to other established simulation methods. Sensitivity analyses can also be performed to assess the impact of changing input parameters on the simulation results.

5. How can real-time simulations of particle motion be applied in practical applications?

Real-time simulations of particle motion have a wide range of practical applications, such as in the design and optimization of industrial processes, the development of new materials, and the study of complex biological systems. They can also be used for predictive modeling and decision-making in fields such as weather forecasting and traffic flow management.