Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simulation of a Gaussian beam in an optical waveguide

1. Jun 6, 2014 #1
    I am trying to simulate a Gaussian beam through an optical waveguide having a circular cross-section in matlab. I am familiar with the theory of modes in an optical fiber and can analytically calculate the evolution of the beam by breaking down the beam into a sum of infinite modes.
    However, I wish to know if there is any numerical technique to simulate the same process numerically.
    Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2014 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is group velocity dispersion considered? Bending radius? Fiber cladding? What are your objectives?

4. Jun 6, 2014 #3
    Yes. Group velocity dispersion is considered. The fiber has a step index profile (constant refractive index inside the core and cladding with a small difference between their values). I'm not considering the effect of bending right now. I only want to get an idea of how to start with the simulation in terms of mathematics.
    Thank you

5. Jun 6, 2014 #4

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook