1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simulation of a Gaussian beam in an optical waveguide

1. Jun 6, 2014 #1
    I am trying to simulate a Gaussian beam through an optical waveguide having a circular cross-section in matlab. I am familiar with the theory of modes in an optical fiber and can analytically calculate the evolution of the beam by breaking down the beam into a sum of infinite modes.
    However, I wish to know if there is any numerical technique to simulate the same process numerically.
    Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2014 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is group velocity dispersion considered? Bending radius? Fiber cladding? What are your objectives?

4. Jun 6, 2014 #3
    Yes. Group velocity dispersion is considered. The fiber has a step index profile (constant refractive index inside the core and cladding with a small difference between their values). I'm not considering the effect of bending right now. I only want to get an idea of how to start with the simulation in terms of mathematics.
    Thank you

5. Jun 6, 2014 #4

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook