Simultaneous diagonalization while having repeated eigenvalues

In summary, this person is trying to figure out a proof for a situation where two commuting matrices have the same eigenvalues, but are unable to do so because of repeated eigenvalues.
McLaren Rulez
Hi,

Can anyone help me prove that two commuting matrices can be simultaneously diagonalized? I can prove the case where all the eigenvalues are distinct but I'm stumped when it comes to repeated eigenvalues.

I came across this proof online but I am not sure how [tex]B'_{ab}=0[/tex] implies that B is block diagonal. Thank you.

http://www.mathematics.thetangentbundle.net/wiki/Linear_algebra/simultaneous_diagonalization_of_commuting_normal_matrices is the link for the proof.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay I see the block diagonal bit but I still cannot see how to diagonalize those little blocks where all the diagonal elements are the same.

Basically, if v1 is an eigenvector of matrix P with eigenvalue a1 and we have PQ=QP, then PQ(v1) = QP(v1) = a1*Q(v1) which shows that Q(v1) is an eigenvector of P with eigenvalue a1. If the eigenvalues are distinct, then I can say that Q(v1) is proportional to v1 which makes v1 an eigenvector of Q as well. But this last step fails for repeated eigenvalues. So can anyone help me with this?

Thank you.

Erm anybody?

First, two matrices cannot be "simultaneously diagonalized" (i.e. A and B are simultaneously diagonalizable if and only if there exist a specific matrix P such that both P^{-1}AP and P^{-1}BP are both diagonal) unless they are each diagonalizable separately. So you must assume, even though there are repeated eigenvalues, that there exist a basis consisting entirely of eigenvectors of, say, A.

Ok let me try a concrete example. Say matrix A and B commute. Let's say A has only one eigenvalue, m. Let the eigenvectors be (1,0,0) (0,1,0) and (0,0,1). Now how do I know that each of these is also an eigenvector of B?

I assume that is the argument being used here i.e. the two matrices have a common set of eigenvectors. So when we change the basis to the one formed by the eigenvectors, both must be diagonalized.

Thank you

McLaren Rulez said:
Ok let me try a concrete example. Say matrix A and B commute. Let's say A has only one eigenvalue, m. Let the eigenvectors be (1,0,0) (0,1,0) and (0,0,1). Now how do I know that each of these is also an eigenvector of B?
Note that A=mI... (where I is the identity matrix)

Oh I see it now! Just diagonalize B and A is unaffected since the identity matrix doesn't change when the basis is changed. Thank you!

1. What is simultaneous diagonalization while having repeated eigenvalues?

Simultaneous diagonalization while having repeated eigenvalues refers to the process of finding a common basis in which two or more matrices can be diagonalized simultaneously, even if they have repeated eigenvalues. This means that the matrices share the same set of eigenvectors.

2. Why is simultaneous diagonalization while having repeated eigenvalues important?

This process is important because it allows for simplification and easier analysis of complex matrices. By finding a common basis, it is possible to reduce the number of calculations needed, making it more efficient to work with these matrices.

3. What are the conditions for simultaneous diagonalization while having repeated eigenvalues?

The conditions for simultaneous diagonalization while having repeated eigenvalues are that the matrices must be diagonalizable, meaning they have a full set of linearly independent eigenvectors, and they must share the same set of eigenvectors.

4. How do you perform simultaneous diagonalization while having repeated eigenvalues?

The process involves finding the eigenvectors and eigenvalues of each matrix, and then checking if they share a common set of eigenvectors. If so, these eigenvectors can be used to create a transformation matrix which can simultaneously diagonalize all of the matrices.

5. Can all matrices be simultaneously diagonalized while having repeated eigenvalues?

No, not all matrices can be simultaneously diagonalized while having repeated eigenvalues. The matrices must meet the conditions mentioned earlier, and if they do not, then simultaneous diagonalization is not possible.