How Do You Solve Simultaneous Equations for Revision?

In summary, the conversation includes a discussion about a difficult algebraic problem that involves using long division and manipulating formulas. The person asking for help has already attempted the problem, but needs guidance on how to solve for certain variables. The expert suggests using a particular formula and treating everything else as constants in order to solve the problem. The person asking for help expresses gratitude for the hints given.
j-lee00

Homework Statement

Question is in the attachment, this is for revision not homework

Attachments

• q1.jpeg
    q1.jpeg
    19.3 KB · Views: 483
Physics news on Phys.org
That was nasty. Lots of algebra and you'll have to use some long division. Try playing around with the formulas a bit.

Do you have the workings?

I did work out the problem, but I can't really help you unless you show some of your own work, so I just gave some hints about what to do. Try finding T by using (2) to find

[tex]E_{03}=E_{01}-\frac{\eta_{1}E_{02}}{\eta_{2}}[/tex]

Then plug it into (1) and you should get the result easily. Solving for R is trickier, but I gave a good hint.

I would put my working but I am slow in writing latex and my exam is tomorrow, thanks for the help anyway

It's a lot easier than it looks, treat everything like a constant except the Es

[tex] E_{1} c_1 + E_3 c_1 - E_2 c_2 = 0[/tex]

[tex] \eta _2 E_1 - \eta _2 E_3 + \eta _1 E_2 = 0[/tex]

Add [itex] \frac{c_1}{\eta_2} [/itex] of equation 2 to equation 1 to get you started? Solve for Es.

Thanks greg

1. What are simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations are a set of equations that have two or more unknown variables and must be solved together to find the values of the variables.

2. How do you solve simultaneous equations?

There are several methods for solving simultaneous equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. Each method involves manipulating the equations to eliminate one variable, and then solving for the remaining variable.

3. What is the importance of simultaneous equations in science?

Simultaneous equations are commonly used in science to model and solve real-world problems. They allow scientists to find the relationships between different variables and make predictions based on the given data.

4. Can simultaneous equations have more than two variables?

Yes, simultaneous equations can have any number of variables as long as there are an equal number of equations. However, as the number of variables increases, the complexity of solving the equations also increases.

5. Are there any practical applications of simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations have numerous practical applications in various fields, including physics, economics, and engineering. They are used to solve problems related to motion, population growth, financial planning, and more.