1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sin(npi/2) non-convergence to 0

1. Nov 2, 2012 #1
    Hello,

I'd like to show that sin(npi/2) does not converge. I have managed to show that it does not converge to +-1, but how may I also prove that it does not converge to 0?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

sin(0*pi/2)=0, sin(1*pi/2)=1, sin(2*pi/2)=0, sin(3*pi/2)=(-1), sin(4*pi/2)=0. Now just kind of extrapolate.

4. Nov 2, 2012 #3
    I have to demonstrate it using the non-existence of limit defintion. Hence, using epsilon etc.

5. Nov 2, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How did you show it doesn't converge to +/-1? Why is it harder to show it doesn't converge to 0?

6. Nov 2, 2012 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Sure. But what Dick is suggesting is that you actually calculate [itex]\sin(n\pi /2)[/itex] and to describe the sequence without sines. This makes it way easier to prove that a limit does not exist.

7. Nov 2, 2012 #6
    In order to prove that it does not converge to +-1, I simply defined it as (-1)^n and then showed that for any even n (or odd n, in the case of limit being +1) |(-1)^n - 1| >= epsilon (taking epsilon=1).
    But what would be the general term, the equivalent of (-1)^n, for 0? I mean, I'd still have to prove that the sequence does not converge to 0 in order for my proof to be complete.

8. Nov 3, 2012 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Now why would you 'define' sin(pi*n/2) to be (-1)^n when it isn't true? That would seem like a losing strategy for proving something?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  9. Nov 3, 2012 #8
    It is true and is equal to (-1)^n for all odd positions, i.e. n=2k+1.

10. Nov 3, 2012 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'd write that as (-1)^k but alright. Your sequence is 0 for even n. It's also true |(-1)^k-0|>=1. Can't you use the same argument? There's no rule against comparing even terms with odd terms.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook