Sin(npi/2) non-convergence to 0

• Thread starter peripatein
  • Start date
In summary: I'd write that as (-1)^k but alright. Your sequence is 0 for even n. It's also true |(-1)^k-0|>=1. Can't you use the same argument?
peripatein
Hello,

I'd like to show that sin(npi/2) does not converge. I have managed to show that it does not converge to +-1, but how may I also prove that it does not converge to 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
sin(0*pi/2)=0, sin(1*pi/2)=1, sin(2*pi/2)=0, sin(3*pi/2)=(-1), sin(4*pi/2)=0. Now just kind of extrapolate.

I have to demonstrate it using the non-existence of limit defintion. Hence, using epsilon etc.

peripatein said:
I have to demonstrate it using the non-existence of limit defintion. Hence, using epsilon etc.

How did you show it doesn't converge to +/-1? Why is it harder to show it doesn't converge to 0?

peripatein said:

Sure. But what Dick is suggesting is that you actually calculate [itex]\sin(n\pi /2)[/itex] and to describe the sequence without sines. This makes it way easier to prove that a limit does not exist.

In order to prove that it does not converge to +-1, I simply defined it as (-1)^n and then showed that for any even n (or odd n, in the case of limit being +1) |(-1)^n - 1| >= epsilon (taking epsilon=1).
But what would be the general term, the equivalent of (-1)^n, for 0? I mean, I'd still have to prove that the sequence does not converge to 0 in order for my proof to be complete.

peripatein said:
In order to prove that it does not converge to +-1, I simply defined it as (-1)^n and then showed that for any even n (or odd n, in the case of limit being +1) |(-1)^n - 1| >= epsilon (taking epsilon=1).
But what would be the general term, the equivalent of (-1)^n, for 0? I mean, I'd still have to prove that the sequence does not converge to 0 in order for my proof to be complete.

Now why would you 'define' sin(pi*n/2) to be (-1)^n when it isn't true? That would seem like a losing strategy for proving something?

Last edited:
It is true and is equal to (-1)^n for all odd positions, i.e. n=2k+1.

peripatein said:
It is true and is equal to (-1)^n for all odd positions, i.e. n=2k+1.

I'd write that as (-1)^k but alright. Your sequence is 0 for even n. It's also true |(-1)^k-0|>=1. Can't you use the same argument? There's no rule against comparing even terms with odd terms.

What does "Sin(npi/2) non-convergence to 0" mean?

The expression "Sin(npi/2) non-convergence to 0" refers to the behavior of the sine function when the input value is a multiple of pi/2. In this case, the function does not approach the value of 0, which is its limit at these points.

Why does Sin(npi/2) not converge to 0?

This is due to the nature of the sine function. As the input value approaches a multiple of pi/2, the function oscillates between the values of -1 and 1, never reaching the value of 0. This behavior is known as non-convergence.

What is the significance of Sin(npi/2) non-convergence to 0?

The non-convergence of the sine function at multiples of pi/2 has significant implications in mathematics and physics. It affects the behavior of trigonometric functions, Fourier series, and differential equations, among others.

Can Sin(npi/2) ever be equal to 0?

No, the sine function is defined as the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse in a right triangle. Therefore, it can never have a value of 0, as this would require a triangle with an opposite side of 0, which is not possible.

How is Sin(npi/2) non-convergence to 0 related to the concept of infinity?

The non-convergence of the sine function at multiples of pi/2 is related to the concept of infinity because it represents a situation where a function does not have a finite limit. Instead, the function oscillates indefinitely, approaching values of positive and negative infinity.