Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Singer Fiona Apple arrested in Texas

1. Sep 21, 2012 #1
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2012 #2

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

4. Sep 21, 2012 #3
    Be careful Ryan. Don't be seduced by this dangerous woman. Thank heaven the authorities stopped her before she got to Austin, the very Capital of the Great State of Texas. I can't imagine what depredations she might have wrought there. Yes, they let her go after holding her overnight. I'm sure they know what they're doing. They want her to lead them to her fellow evil-doers so they can nab them all.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  5. Sep 21, 2012 #4
    She's been one of my favorites. This is too bad.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  6. Sep 21, 2012 #5

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A little off-topic, but this reminded me of something that happened to me at 6:30 am yesterday. I was walking down the sidewalk on my way to Tim Hortons (Canadian coffee shop), when a guy walking the other way stopped me and asked "Do you know where I can get some pot?"

I am not a young guy any more, e.g, my avatar picture was taken four years ago, and I was old when my daughter was born, so I found the situation to be somewhat bemusing. Maybe the guy confused me with a singer.

7. Sep 21, 2012 #6
    In Canada, I don't imagine they would stop you on a highway, search your vehicle, and if they found 4oz (~113.4 gm) of cannabis, they would jail you and charge you with a felony. ("You" in the general sense)

EDIT: Apparently Apple's tourbus was stopped at an interior Federal checkpoint (Sierra Blanca). It's not on the border. It's about 90 mi (145 km) SE of El Paso on Interstate 10. A drug sniffing dog picked up the scent. The case was turned over to the local Sheriff who described the find as a "small amount" of marijuana and hashish. Possession of hashish in any amount is a felony in Texas.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  8. Sep 22, 2012 #7
    A felony? Does that mean she's likely to serve time?

9. Sep 22, 2012 #8

jtbell

My wife and I have been through that checkpoint a few times on our way between South Carolina and Arizona, most recently two years ago when I was on a solo trip. I don't think they ever asked us anything, just looked at us (a couple of non-Hispanic 50-60 year old geezers in a small sedan) and waved us on. I wonder what it takes to bring out the drug-sniffing dogs.

10. Sep 22, 2012 #9

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Likely a celebrity.
    At least that will bring them front page news. ;)

11. Sep 22, 2012 #10
    I don't know how likely it is, but under Texas law she could get 10 years. I suspect the prosecutor may decide not to prosecute or, more likely, accept a fine under a reduced charge if that's possible. I certainly hope so. She's a highly original and compelling figure in a music scene that is otherwise all too bland and uninspiring. As far as the law goes, it's pretty ridiculous to make simple possession of any amount of hashish, no matter how small, a felony. I've seen people beaten to an inch of the their lives where the perpetrator was only charged with a misdemeanor. I'm not a consumer of cannabis products but I have supported medical use with reasonable guidelines.

There's also the issue of the way she was stopped and arrested. The news media keeps on calling the location a "border check point". It's not. It's over 90mi (145km) from the El Paso border crossing. I question the legality of interior checkpoints where citizens can be stopped and searched with no probable cause. I lived for a short time in the old USSR (as part of my job) and never encountered an interior check point. Police could stop you at any time, but only to check your documentation.

One silver lining is that the publicity from this might prove helpful to Fiona's career. She recently released a new album after a 7 year hiatus. It debuted at Billboard's #3 position. Hopefully more people will discover her talent. Personally, I love contraltos.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  12. Sep 22, 2012 #11
    Yeah, but only if her tour bus was clearly identifiable as hers from the outside. I don't think celebs travel like that. It would be pretty dumb.

I really wonder too. Someone must have recognized her and thought we have a chicken ready to be plucked here. As I said above, I seriously doubt she had her name plastered on the bus. Maybe they run the dogs on all tour buses.

EDIT: She may also have been identified by the Federal Border Patrol when the bus was first stopped. Since this is not an actual border crossing point, I don't see how this is justified without probable cause.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  13. Sep 23, 2012 #12
    Wowser, that's a more significant problem than I'd thought, thanks.

As you say it may well boost sales. She's in the news locally which I don't think I've seen before.

14. Sep 23, 2012 #13

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You like her music, and therefore the law shouldn't apply to her?

15. Sep 23, 2012 #14
    Sierra Blanca, TX is where Willie Nelson, Snoop Dogg and Armie Hammer have all been arrested for drugs in the past.

16. Sep 23, 2012 #15

Astronuc

It is an interior 'border check point', and one will enounter them in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California. They check for illegal aliens, smugglers and drug traffickers. I've had experience with them in the past.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Border_Patrol_Interior_Checkpoints

On I-10, there is a check point somewhere near the New Mexico - Arizona border. They check for uncontrolled produce going between Texas and California. The goal is to prevent pests from being transported from one agricultural region to another. At least it was there in the 1970s.

A friend and I were traveling from Texas to Arizona. We had a bag of grapefruit from Texas. We were given the choice of eating them or handing them over for disposal. We ate them and went on our way.

Along I-10 and interstates from the border with Mexico, one will routinely see border patrol agents doing patrol, much the same way state and local authorities do patrol for traffic violations.

17. Sep 23, 2012 #16

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Tour bus.

18. Sep 23, 2012 #17

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Drug sniffing dog gave the officers probable cause. Police and Border Patrol have a right to stop anyone on the interstate.

The title of the thread is misleading. Clearly it should be, "Drug User Fiona Apple Arrested in Texas." :biggrin:

19. Sep 23, 2012 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow! Random searches. It figures. :frown: Forget the Constitution where drugs are involved cause the war on drugs is more important. :rolleyes:

20. Sep 23, 2012 #19

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Unfortunately drug smugglers, gun runners and human smugglers have stopped flying flags identifying themselves.

21. Sep 23, 2012 #20
    As with a lot of people if you include marijuana. How many adults alive today are criminals in fact given the use of any cannabis product is illegal? This case is complicated by the apparent fact that Apple was caught with hashish. I'm not saying she hasn't violated the law, but it's still a victimless crime. She's only potentially damaging her own health by using concentrated cannabis. So to save her from herself, we should imprison her? As for supporting organized crime, cannabis use supports organized crime because it is illegal.

I don't agree with your comment that federal agents or state police can stop and search anyone (including the deployment of drug sniffing dogs) without probable cause. The US Supreme Court seems to have ruled otherwise,

http://www.shouselaw.com/terry.html

BTW if you are giving Apple the drug user ID, add just about everyone else since you didn't specify illegal drugs.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook