Entertaining review of digital storage oscilloscope

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Messages
12,179
Reaction score
186
I'm thinking of buying this nice DSO for under 1k $US for home use. It's the 70 MHz model in the Rigol DS2000 series.

But that's not why I'm posting. I wanted to share these video reviews of the scope which are a real hoot -- provided you have spent a lot of your time using oscilloscopes yourself.

The videos are 30-40 minutes each, but even watching for a few minutes is worthwhile.

Here the good stuff starts at about 9:30, where there is a good discussion of the noise floor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRy755StMak​

Here he takes the scope apart and reviews the construction and design. I didn't understand half of it, but my background isn't in EE design:
http://www.eevblog.com/2012/09/26/eevblog-360-rigol-ds2000-oscilloscope-teardown/
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
That guy sure has some enthusiasm. I like how he gets especially excited when he sees heat-shrink tubing :approve:
 
70 MHz would barely let you view a 10 MHz square wave. Consider getting a better one if you can.

That guy's voice gets higher in pitch as he gets more excited. I wish he would become familiar with the equipment before he demonstrates it.

I saw him pull a photocopier apart. Everything was "amazing" but he had no idea what it all did.