Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Single Direction Applied Force Locking Mechanism

1. Sep 10, 2016 #1

szc

Having trouble researching/discovering any locking mechanisms that engage with force in a linear direction and then allow the engagement to be released with force in the same applied direction. I don't know if it has been done, any help/findings would be greatly appreciated. The only technology I have been able to come up with is the spring loaded retractable pen mechanism.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2016 #2

RonL

Gold Member

I think if you search "clutch bearings" and "clutch springs" you might find what you are looking for. Commercial copiers are one place to find the springs (of a small size) any bearing supplier will have clutch bearings. ( they are kinda pricey though )

4. Sep 10, 2016 #3

szc

I don't know if that's quite the application I am looking for. I probably should have explained the application a bit more. I am going to have two separate faces one being an electromagnet pulling the other face towards it. The electromagnet will only have the capabilities to apply force in one direction and I need to be able to hold the face in place once the power is cut from the electromagnet. Then once the mechanism needs to be released I can only apply force in the same direction that the electromagnet originally did.

5. Sep 10, 2016 #4

RonL

Gold Member

That kinda twisted my brain ( but that's easy to do:wideeyed: ) but I'll think about it a bit, I suspect someone will answer before I figure it out :rolleyes:, just hang tight. :smile:

6. Sep 12, 2016 #5
    Something like a pen?

7. Sep 13, 2016 #6

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Some cabinet door catches are push to open, push to close.

Pull cord light switches.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted