Single photons traversing a beam splitter

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a source emitting single photons, a 50-50 beam splitter, and point p where the photons are detected. The question is about what happens when the photon hits the beam splitter and the probability of detecting a photon at point p. There is also a mention of a standing wave and the possibility of the photon splitting when traversing the beam splitter. The person asking the question is looking for an answer as they have not been able to find a similar problem and their professor is not responding.
physmatics
Hi!

I'm not sure this is exactly the right subforum, but here goes:

Homework Statement

Fysikbild.png

So we have a source (OP) that emits single photons of a constant wavelength and angular frequency. The photons hit a 50-50 beam splitter, and are then reflected in the mirrors. Where is says (L) ou (SP) (yay for studying in French!) there is a beam splitter.

What I want to know basically is what happens. What happens when the photon hits the beam splitter? What happens at point p, and what is the probability of detecting a photon there?

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it will become a standing wave, but how does that work with only one photon? Does the photon split itself when traversing the beam splitter? What happens in that case when the two waves meet at the point p, and what is the probability of detecting a photon there?

I would be more than happy if anyone could answer this, as I haven't been able to found a similar problem anywhere and my professor refuses to answer e-mails.

Thank you so so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Pardon me, it should obviously be point x instead of point p!

1. What is a beam splitter?

A beam splitter is an optical device that splits a beam of light into two or more beams by reflecting part of the light and transmitting the rest through a partially reflecting surface.

2. How do single photons behave when they encounter a beam splitter?

Single photons behave as both particles and waves, and when they encounter a beam splitter, they have a certain probability of either being transmitted or reflected. This probability is determined by the characteristics of the beam splitter and the angle at which the photon approaches it.

3. What is the significance of single photons traversing a beam splitter?

The behavior of single photons when traversing a beam splitter is important in quantum mechanics and quantum information processing. It allows for the manipulation and control of individual photons, which has implications for technologies such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography.

4. Can single photons be split into more than two beams by a beam splitter?

Yes, a beam splitter can split a single photon into more than two beams by using multiple partially reflecting surfaces. This can create complex interference patterns and is useful for certain experiments in quantum optics.

5. How is the efficiency of a beam splitter determined?

The efficiency of a beam splitter is determined by the ratio of the intensity of the transmitted beam to the intensity of the incident beam. It can also be affected by factors such as the angle of incidence and the wavelength of the light. Higher efficiency beam splitters are typically more desirable for practical applications.