Single slit diffraction maxima

In summary, the maxima of a single slit diffraction pattern are not found in the middle between the minima, but rather at a path difference of nλ.
ruku320
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me with this problem.

Calculate the distance y between adjacent maxima in single slit diffraction patterns. Your answer should be given in terms of a, λ and D. (a is the length of the slit, D is the distance between the slit and the screen and λ is the wavelength of the light).

Ok, so I know how to get the minima of single slit diffraction. You just break it down into many rays going through the slit to get a*sin O=nλ. So is it just the same for the maxima? Say for two rays you would get (a/2)*sin O=nλ (nλ since you want the two rays to constructively interfere and when its nλ they are perfectly in phase) so in general it would be be a*sin O = 2nλ. This doesn't really make much sense though...cause the 2nλ distances are just multiples of nλ which is the minima.

Physics news on Phys.org
For a single slit experiment, the condition for constructive interference is:

[tex]dsin\theta = (n + \frac{1}{2})\lambda [/tex]

which is derived geometrically.

While it's easy to find the minima for the single slit diffraction pattern, there's no simple formula for the maxima. The positions of the minima are given by:
[tex]dsin\theta = n\lambda [/tex]

The maxima are not found exactly in the middle between the minima. See here for details: http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/FraunhoferDiffractionSingleSlit.html

(Depending upon the level of the course, they may want you to use mezarashi's formula as a rough approximation, but realize that this is not really correct.)

Hi everyone. Could anyone please explain why there is no simple argument to understand where the maxima of a single slit diffraction pattern are found? Why doesn't the same argument as for the minima work? I'm a freshman in university btw so you know what level of education I have.Thanks!

Hi,I have been facing some problem in single slit diffraction and need precise description.

we know from single slit diffraction,in term of destructive interfere a sinθ=nλ and constructive
interfere a sinθ=(2n+1)λ/2.Here (a is the length of the slit, D is the distance between the slit and the screen and λ is the wavelength of the light and θ is the diffraction angle).

But we know from the constructive interference in term of sound or light, path difference=nλ (even multiples of λ) and in case of destructive interference,path difference=(2n+1)λ/2(uneven multiples of λ) .

Could anybody describe thoroughly, in term of single slit diffraction,why the condition of constructive and destructive interference place opposite to each other. Please anyone solve my problem.

1. What is single slit diffraction?

Single slit diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when a wave, such as light or sound, passes through a narrow slit or aperture. It causes the wave to spread out and interfere with itself, creating a pattern of alternating bright and dark spots on a screen or surface behind the slit.

2. How does single slit diffraction occur?

When a wave passes through a slit, the edges of the slit act as sources of secondary waves. These secondary waves interfere with each other, resulting in regions of constructive interference where the waves reinforce each other and regions of destructive interference where they cancel each other out. This interference pattern produces the diffraction pattern.

3. What factors affect the pattern of single slit diffraction?

The pattern of single slit diffraction is affected by the wavelength of the wave, the width of the slit, and the distance between the slit and the screen. The narrower the slit, the wider the diffraction pattern will be. Similarly, longer wavelengths will produce wider patterns, while shorter wavelengths will produce narrower patterns.

4. How is the intensity of the diffraction pattern related to the width of the slit?

The intensity of the diffraction pattern is inversely proportional to the width of the slit. This means that as the slit gets narrower, the intensity of the central peak increases, while the intensity of the secondary peaks decreases. Conversely, as the slit gets wider, the intensity of the central peak decreases, while the intensity of the secondary peaks increases.

5. What is the difference between single slit diffraction and double slit interference?

The main difference between single slit diffraction and double slit interference is the number of slits involved. In single slit diffraction, there is only one slit, and the pattern is created by the interference of the secondary waves from that single slit. In double slit interference, there are two slits, and the pattern is created by the interference of waves from both slits. Additionally, the pattern in single slit diffraction is a series of bright and dark spots, while the pattern in double slit interference is a series of bright and dark fringes.