Single slit double slit and diffraction grating

In summary: For 2 you need to think about how the different intensities will vary depending on how far away from the center the diffraction grating is.
moe3238

Homework Statement

1. From conservation of energy point of view if single and double slits, and diffraction grating had slits of same width, how should their overall light intestines compare
2. under what conditions can we consider double-slits intensities as approximately constant?
3.Describe the similarities and difference between double slit and diffraction grating patterns? explains reasons for them, (i can get the similarities and difference but i can't explain them)

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

The similarities between double slit and diffraction grating pattern are that they both have the same location for their bright and dark bands, as well as they have the same distance in between dark and bright bands. The differences are that grating pattern has more intense bright bands, and the bright bands are narrower and more sharply peaked. While the double slit have bright bands with less intensity and wider peaks at the bright bands. This is because for diffraction grating at angles between maxima, the waves from each slit differ in phase, and interfere to produce relatively wide dark areas on the screen; the overall result is a pattern of extremely narrow maxima.

The light intensities of the double-slit bands did not stay constant, instead one saw as the wave diffracted further away from the center, the light intensities decreased, this is because in real life the width of the slits causes each slit to act like a single slit, and the non uniform single-slit pattern combines with the ideal double-slit pattern, therefore dimming occurs as it moves away from the center. The double-slit intensities will stay constant if the width of the slits is very small.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
All that is very good so far - but did you have a question?

What happened to "4." ?
Have you attempted 1. 2. and 3. yet?

Yea srry i made it very unclear as i copied and pasted my answer from my lab
The answer to 2 is 5 and answer
To 3 is 6 and i can't seem to get an answer for 1 but i think that since theyre all same width double slit will have double the light go through so double the photons so double the energy so more energy is conserved

You are right about 1. but it asks for a "conservation of energy" POV.

The answer to 2 is 5 and answer
To 3 is 6
5 does not answer 2, it seems to answer 3.
also 6 looks like the answer to 2.

I think you have the idea - it's just some details that need mopping up to get all the marks.
For 3 you need to look at how the pattern gets formed... you do kinda explain it though.

From a conservation of energy perspective, the overall light intensities should be the same for single and double slits, and diffraction grating with the same slit width. This is because the same amount of energy is being diffracted and spread out over the same area, resulting in a similar overall intensity. However, the distribution of light may be different due to the interference patterns created by the slits or grating. In the case of the diffraction grating, the intense and narrow bright bands are a result of the constructive interference of the waves from each slit, while in the double-slit pattern, the wider and less intense bright bands are a result of the overlapping of the waves from each slit.

1. What is the difference between single slit, double slit, and diffraction grating?

Single slit, double slit, and diffraction grating are all optical components that can be used to produce interference patterns by passing light through them. The main difference between them is the number and arrangement of the slits or grooves. Single slit has one narrow opening, double slit has two parallel slits, and diffraction grating has multiple parallel slits.

2. How do single slit, double slit, and diffraction grating affect the diffraction of light?

Single slit, double slit, and diffraction grating all cause diffraction of light, which is the bending of light as it passes through a narrow opening or around an obstacle. The difference between them is that single slit produces a single central maximum and multiple smaller maxima on either side, double slit produces multiple bright and dark fringes, and diffraction grating produces a large number of equally spaced bright fringes.

3. What is the relationship between the width of the slit or spacing of the grating and the diffraction pattern produced?

The width of the slit or spacing of the grating is directly proportional to the diffraction pattern produced. This means that as the width of the slit decreases or the spacing of the grating increases, the diffraction pattern will have more closely spaced fringes and a larger number of them.

4. How is the interference pattern produced by single slit, double slit, or diffraction grating affected by the wavelength of light?

The interference pattern produced by single slit, double slit, or diffraction grating is affected by the wavelength of light in that the spacing between the fringes will change. This is because the spacing between fringes is determined by the wavelength of light, with shorter wavelengths producing closer spaced fringes and longer wavelengths producing more widely spaced fringes.

5. What practical applications do single slit, double slit, and diffraction grating have?

Single slit, double slit, and diffraction grating have a variety of practical applications in science and technology. They can be used in spectroscopy to separate and analyze different wavelengths of light, in microscopy to improve image resolution, and in optical communication to manipulate and transmit light signals. They are also commonly used in experiments and demonstrations to illustrate the principles of diffraction and interference.