1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Singlet- triplet splitting energy of He! what does it mean?

1. Apr 13, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] singlet- triplet splitting energy of He! what does it mean?

Hello every body!

i need to plot the singlet- triplet splitting energy of He for the [tex]^{1}[/tex]S and [tex]^{3}[/tex]S states corresponding to the configurations (1s,ns), n=1 to 7, and then explain why the plot is like that!!!

please help. my problem is i don't exactly understand what it means? and what should i look for! i don't understand the question!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2008 #2
    ok, now i know that singlet- triplet splitting energy means the energy different between the alike terms when they are singlet and when they are triplet. But still in this step, the energy formulas we have only depends on the quantum number n. so how can i find a energy formula which also depends on electron spin?

4. Apr 26, 2008 #3
    Wahoo, it looks like i have to answer all my questions alone! if so...! i found the answer! this question is not to calculate the energy but to take the energy levels from the NIST table and plot the, the point is for larger n... the splitting energy gets smaller and smaller almost zero and that is because as n gets larger the interacting of electrons gets smaller and smaller .cool...ha?

5. Feb 21, 2011 #4
    Re: [SOLVED] singlet- triplet splitting energy of He! what does it mean?

I'm totally being in your shoes. Thanks for posting the answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?