Understanding Hund's Second Rule: What is a Singlet or Triplet?

In summary: L=1## because ##L## is the sum of ##M_L## and ##S=1## because ##S## is the sum of ##M_S##. ##^3S## would have all the same ##M_L## values but only one ##M_S## value, so it would not be allowed.##^3##P is made up of ##M_L = 1, 0, -1## with ##M_S = 1, 0, -1##, you need all those microstates to form the term. Once...you have them all, you can see that ##L=1## because ##L## is the sum of
McLaren Rulez
Can anyone explain the second rule, because the Wikipedia page is not very clear?

Hund's zeroth rule - Ignore all inner shells and focus on the outermost shell.
Hund's first rule - Put the electrons such that they maximize spin, ##s##.

So far so good. Hund's second rule appears to be simply that the we should maximize ##l## (after rule 1). That is, if I have say ##3p^2##, then the two electrons should be in ##l=1## and ##l=0##. Is there anything more to it than that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hund's_rules talks about singlets and triplets and that the second rule is never used until Ti. I don't understand either of these statements. What is the meaning of singlets and triplets in this context? Also, in my example above, we used Hund's second rule for a 3p orbital so why is Ti the lowest element where this rule is used? Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
McLaren Rulez said:
So far so good. Hund's second rule appears to be simply that the we should maximize ##l## (after rule 1). That is, if I have say ##3p^2##, then the two electrons should be in ##l=1## and ##l=0##. Is there anything more to it than that?
You are mixing up ##l## and ##m_l##. If you have 3p2, then you have two electrons with ##l=1##. When you add up the two orbital angular momenta with ##l=1##, you can get ##L=2, 1, 0##, so the second rule would tell you that the ground state would be ##L=2##. (This is not actually the case for 3p2 because of the first rule, see below.)

McLaren Rulez said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hund's_rules talks about singlets and triplets and that the second rule is never used until Ti. I don't understand either of these statements. What is the meaning of singlets and triplets in this context? Also, in my example above, we used Hund's second rule for a 3p orbital so why is Ti the lowest element where this rule is used? Thank you.
A term with ##S=0## is called is singlet (because ##2S+1=1##) while a term with ##S=1## is called a triplet (because ##2S+1=3##). The first rule tells you that the triplet will be lowest in energy. In the case of 3p2, the possible terms are 3P, 1D, and 1S. Therefore, by the first rule, the ground state is 3P. Since there are no other triplet terms, you don't need the second rule. It is only when you have two d electrons that multiplicity alone will not tell you which is the ground state.

Likes McLaren Rulez and blue_leaf77
DrClaude said:
A term with ##S=0## is called is singlet (because ##2S+1=1##) while a term with ##S=1## is called a triplet (because ##2S+1=3##). The first rule tells you that the triplet will be lowest in energy. In the case of 3p2, the possible terms are 3P, 1D, and 1S. Therefore, by the first rule, the ground state is 3P. Since there are no other triplet terms, you don't need the second rule. It is only when you have two d electrons that multiplicity alone will not tell you which is the ground state.

Thank you for your reply. Can I check what exactly 3P, 1D, and 1S notation means? Sorry, if this is an obvious question but I'm guessing the 3 and the 1 refer to the triplet and the singlet but what are the P, D, and S?

Spectroscopic notation: ##^{2S+1}L_J##, with ##S## the total spin, ##L## the total orbital angular momentum, and ##J## the total angular momentum. ##L## is expressed as a capital letter, similar to single-electron orbitals. In what I wrote, I omitted the possible values of ##J## (you need the third Hund rule to find which ##J## for the ground state).

Likes McLaren Rulez
DrClaude said:
Spectroscopic notation: ##^{2S+1}L_J##, with ##S## the total spin, ##L## the total orbital angular momentum, and ##J## the total angular momentum. ##L## is expressed as a capital letter, similar to single-electron orbitals.
Thank you. Sorry to ask more questions but how did you know that ##^3P, ^1D##, and ##^1S## were the available options? In other words, why is it that the way spin adds up also determine ##L##? For example, why can I not have ##S=1## and ##L=0## which is the state ##^3S## in spectroscopic notation?

McLaren Rulez said:
Thank you. Sorry to ask more questions but how did you know that ##^3P, ^1D##, and ##^1S## were the available options? In other words, why is it that the way spin adds up also determine ##L##? For example, why can I not have ##S=1## and ##L=0## which is the state ##^3S## in spectroscopic notation?
There is no 3S because of the Pauli exclusion principle. The only way to figure this out is to write all possible microstates (combinations of ##m_l## and ##m_s##), and then see which terms they lead to.

Have a look at https://www.academia.edu/28235099/Term_symbols_for_multi-electron_atoms for more information on how to do that,

Likes McLaren Rulez
DrClaude said:
There is no 3S because of the Pauli exclusion principle. The only way to figure this out is to write all possible microstates (combinations of ##m_l## and ##m_s##), and then see which terms they lead to.

Have a look at https://www.academia.edu/28235099/Term_symbols_for_multi-electron_atoms for more information on how to do that,
Thank you for the detailed document. I think I mostly get it except for how the ##L## value is known from a given ##M_L##. If I look at the microstates, for example, the fifth one in your table ##M_L = 0## but the ##L## value of this can be either ##0, 1## or ##2##. How is it that it is labelled as ##^3P## and not ##^3S##?

McLaren Rulez said:
Thank you for the detailed document. I think I mostly get it except for how the ##L## value is known from a given ##M_L##. If I look at the microstates, for example, the fifth one in your table ##M_L = 0## but the ##L## value of this can be either ##0, 1## or ##2##. How is it that it is labelled as ##^3P## and not ##^3S##?
##^3##P is made up of ##M_L = 1, 0, -1## with ##M_S = 1, 0, -1##, you need all those microstates to form the term. Once you have used the microstate with ##M_L=0## and ##M_S=1## to build up ##^3##P, there is no such microstate left to make a ##^3##S. That's why have have to form the terms starting from the highest value of ##L##.

Likes McLaren Rulez
Ah I see! Thank you a million DrClaude. You've really helped me finally get it!

1. What is Hund's Second Rule?

Hund's Second Rule is a principle in quantum mechanics that describes the distribution of electrons in an atom's orbitals. It states that electrons will first occupy separate orbitals with the same energy (known as degenerate orbitals) before pairing up in the same orbital.

2. How does Hund's Second Rule relate to singlet and triplet states?

Hund's Second Rule is closely related to singlet and triplet states, which refer to the spin of the electrons in an orbital. Singlet states have two electrons with opposite spin, while triplet states have two electrons with the same spin. Hund's Second Rule explains why electrons prefer to occupy separate orbitals with the same energy, leading to the formation of singlet and triplet states.

3. What is the significance of singlet and triplet states in chemistry?

Singlet and triplet states are important in understanding chemical reactions and the properties of molecules. The spin of electrons affects the overall energy and stability of a molecule, and singlet and triplet states have different energies, resulting in different reactivity and behavior.

4. How does Hund's Second Rule apply to multi-electron atoms?

Hund's Second Rule applies to all atoms with multiple electrons, regardless of the number of electrons or the specific element. It helps explain the arrangement of electrons in an atom's orbitals and the resulting electronic configurations.

5. What are some real-world applications of Hund's Second Rule?

Hund's Second Rule has practical applications in fields such as chemistry, physics, and materials science. It is used to predict the electronic and magnetic properties of molecules and materials, as well as to understand the behavior of electrons in different types of chemical bonds. It is also important in understanding the energy levels and electron configurations of atoms in spectroscopy and other analytical techniques.